The Offical 100 Day Sketching Challenge

After lots of talk I’ve finally pulled this thing together. Rather than reinventing the wheel we’re going to follow Krisztina Szerovay’s awesome 100 days of Visual Library Building structure. The idea is that we develop (or hone) our sketching skills, build a fantastic UX visual library that we can utilise in our future work, and have some fun.

How it works

Starting this Monday 3 September I will post 3 objects or concepts related to UX each day into this topic. You can follow along at a pace that suits you. That may mean sketching each day or it may mean catching up on the weekend. There are no rules.

I encourage you to share your work in this topic if you’re comfortable doing so. We can all encourage each other.

Sketching Resources

Here are a few resources to get you started. If you’re new to sketching for UX I’d strongly recommend watching this excellent prep video from Dave Gray: Visual Thinking Basics

Krisztina has also created some amazing sketching resources. She publishes a free UX Knowledge Base Sketch each week at https://uxknowledgebase.com/ and has an excellent course on Udemy called Sketching for UX Designers. She has kindly created a $9.99 coupon code especially for the UX Mastery community. You can take advantage of that here.

Day 1

Feedback
Error
Form

Day 2

Target Audience
Cognitive Load
Onboarding

Day 3

Schedule
Check mark
Deadline

Day 4

Chat Bot
IoT
Future

Day 5

Card sorting
Tree testing
Fake door testing

Day 6

Internet
Cloud-based
Server

Day 7

Question
Answer
Interview Script

Day 8

Empty State
Placeholder

Day 9

Search
Tag Cloud
Link

Day 10

Hierarchy
Building block
Modular

Day 11

Persona
Empathy Map
User Journey Map

Day 12

Keyboard
Mouse
Microphone

Day 13

Flag
Road
Peak

Day 14

A/B testing
Usability testing
Remote testing

Day 15

Teamwork
Success
Fail

Day 16

Shortcut
Favorites
Notes

Day 17

Eye Tracking
Heatmap
Screen recorder

Day 18

Visual
Auditory
Tactile

Day 19

Thinking
Ideation
Brainstorming

Day 20

Pattern

Day 21

Dark pattern
Hidden
Misdirection

Day 22

Magic moment
Emotional Design
Touchpoint

Day 23

Build
Measure
Learn

Day 24

Problem
Solution
Process

Day 25

Mobile
Tablet
Desktop

11 Likes

Day 1

Aaaaaand… we’re off. Here are your three words for Day 1. I will post my solutions later today. I’d love to see yours as you do them.

1 Like

Day 1:

3 Likes

3 Likes

I started again! Day #1 | Day #2 | Day #3

Day #4 | Day #5

![IMG_4185|690x351](upload://eNF0j7CCPCrtT1cIVjyeOcoBrum.jpeg.jpg)
7 Likes

3 Likes

Day 2

Target Audience
Cognitive Load
Onboarding

And that’s the reason why I’m not a painter…

3 Likes

hahaha that’s so funny man! Personally I prefer minimal style for icons but that kind of storytelling is just awesome. Keep doing it!

2 Likes

thanks!
It was not my intention to design icons, did I understand wrong the challenge?
@HAWK can u clarify this please?

3 Likes

The original challenge idea is everyday practice and building your own visual library to reuse those sketch ideas in future. So it can by anything.

3 Likes

3 Likes

The original idea comes from this article but I think in this challenge can be whatever you imagine. I think is funnier see what everybody imagine their own concepts.

2 Likes

now I got it, and you’re right, my doodles cannot be used as library…I will re-design the first two days

2 Likes

This is an amazing thread!

Well I’m not totally agree with that… I think you can create very personal library with you work. For example when you are creating a web and you need some illustrations to tell something. Your sketches could be the base for that. So I’d like you continue doing with your style… but at the end is your choice of course.

3 Likes

3 Likes

hahaha I love onboarding sketch

1 Like

Really enjoying the sketches! Here’s my go at the first couple o’ days.

5 Likes