Information that will change our lives!

This is pretty common. I’d suggest starting a new topic to discuss the challenges of being a team of one!

Hello, fellow UX’ers,

So,

I live in San Francisco Bay Area.

I am a UX newbie -an architect turned design historian looking to transition to UX Research.

My head is currently buried in making a brand-new web portfolio. The challenge I am facing is to narrate the story of academic research through the lens of UX.

I am passionate about humanizing technology, and making web-spaces less daunting for everyone entering it, especially the first-time users and the late-adopters.

Fishes. But also dogs. Because they don’t kill fishes.

2 Likes
  • I am currently in Dallas, Texas but just moved here from Tokyo, Japan.
  • Currently I am a Lead UX Designer / Architect (Hybrid with coding background).
  • Selling your ideas to the audience in USA is much more difficult than it was in Japan.
  • Implementation of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence into UX and UI workflows.
  • Both Cats and Dogs for me.

Nice to meet you all.

1 Like

Welcome Mathew! How did you find us?

Sounds interesting!

I was searching for an active group to collaborate with on topics that have conflicting views. Somewhere to connect with others in a UX community. I was in Japan for 17 years and lost touch with everything for a while and thought this was a good place to start getting up to date on what’s new and popular in my native English speaking culture of design and UX, opposed to what’s in Asia which is on a different spectrum. :wink:

1 Like

Introduction inbound!

I’m glad I found this group and am super excited to be a part of it and grow with so many people! Even though I’m starting out, any advice of help that I can give, I am more than happy to help.

1 Like

Hey Everyone!

I live in Austin, TX but am currently planning my migration to San Francisco, CA in order to make a life change and pursue UX Design. I have lived in Austin my whole life and am looking forward to a (expensive) change in scenery!

I am currently a “Jack of all trades” at my current job. It is small men’s apparel company in Austin. With this I have gained some graphic design skills (Photoshop mainly), web designing, and people facing skills. I am now excited to slide into a more defined career!

My current challenges are making sure I have a job in SF to support me and to get accepted into a UX Design Program (looking at UC Berkeley Extension in April). I would love to get a job that could work along with my learning of UX. (Would love to connect if anyone has gone through this before!)

I am passionate about, the Human Behavior aspect of UX Design. I am facinated by what people do, why they do what they do, etc. I also love the idea that you get to cooperate with others to find issues in programs, websites, and apps (or anything really!) and make them optimized for the people who use them most. Excited to learn the tools that will help to do that!

If I was forced to choose it would be DOGS, but I love all animals!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to connecting.

p.s. I may have posted on here a while ago but life is different now so this may be an update!

1 Like
  • Where in the world are you?
    Lisbon Portugal

• What stage of your career are you at?
    UX Manager

• What are you current challenges?
    Banking and academic

• What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
    Transversal

• Cats or dogs?
    love them but have none

Love love love this. Welcome!

I visited Austin a couple of years ago. Such a cool city! SF is cool too – best of luck with the move.

I’m interested in this. Can you elaborate?

Where in the world are you?
Baltimore area, Maryland, but I’m willing to relocate!

What stage of your career are you at?
Right at the very beginning! I just graduated with a UX certificate and am looking for work in the field.

What are you current challenges?
Decisions!

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
I decided to go into UX because of everything I was reading and watching about the humane tech movement and the backlash to persuasive design. In my grad program I realized that I’m passionate about augmented reality and tangible UX!

Cats or dogs?
Rabbits!

1 Like

I’m in Austin, Texas and work for an enterprise software company. I am new to the industry and my current position is a rotational program focused around UX which was my objective on my resume.

My challenge is navigating all there is to learn(within ux and also in each of my positions) and focusing on what really is important and relevant to my position. I have a tendency to get lost in the weeds and get overwhelmed.

Understanding and researching phases of UX are interesting to me but I love the whole concept of fixing, improving and creating efficient products/interfaces that make peoples lives easier.

Dogs, all the way

1 Like

Hey @katelyn_greller and @amb_wells – great to have you both on board. Welcome!

Thank you @HAWK! Can’t wait to contribute to a great community, thanks for the warm welcome!

1 Like

Hi all, what a great community this is! I’m Christie.

Where in the world are you?
Melbourne, Australia . :wave:

What stage of your career are you at?
I work as an IT Manager in a fairly technical role (not customer-facing). I’m very familiar with how development teams work (different skills/tools used), scrum/agile, deployment and release management, product ownership, and all things testing! Feel free to message me if I can answer any questions for you in these areas. :slight_smile:

What are your current challenges?
I don’t have much of a chance to connect directly with users or customers of our products in my organisation. I can see a huge benefit to having our dev teams use more ux/design thinking, but it’s hard to convince people to change the way they work.
Also, I know very little about UX in general so I’m just trying to soak it all up right now and learn as much as I can to see where it takes me.

What aspects of UX are you passionate about?
On a professional level, I’m really interested in learning about how user research/data can inform our product decisions. For example, on a daily basis I see people making decisions about what to work on that are based on nothing more than “gut feel”: I’d like to see more of that being proven out by understanding our users with data.

On a personal level, art and design have always been part of my life, and I want to find a way to bring more of that into my career as well. :slight_smile:

Cats or dogs?
I love dogs! But my partner doesn’t, so we have a cat. She feels more like a housemate than a pet. :smile:

1 Like

Hi Christie,

Welcome to the community. It’s great to have you!

I love this thought process.

1 Like
  1. Near Sacramento, CA
  2. About to enter my Internship Year
  3. Transferring UX processes to apply to Service System Designs for School Climate improvements in K-12 schools. And to get the approval to take on that role.
  4. Schools have always been under a hierarchy top down authoritative structure…I’m most passionate about bottom up evaluations and upward feedback for improvements
  5. No pets…I can’t handle the idea of outlasting them :frowning:
1 Like

Oh no! You just broke my heart!

Welcome anyway :wink:
Glad you’re here.

1 Like
  • Where in the world are you?
    I’ve been a digital nomad since 2004, traveling the world with my husband. I live out of a backpack: one month here, a couple months there, a few months camping in our VW camper van in the Northwest, sometimes nestled up in our cozy flat in Berlin. I’m all over the place. Currently, we’re spending 6 months floating around SE Asia - Da Nang, Vietnam at the moment.

• What stage of your career are you at?
    I’m a senior software designer for Art+Logic. I’ve been with them for the past 2 decades, with a few years of web design and start-ups before that. Over the years, what started out as “web design” has morphed into UI design, interaction design, and now UX design. It’s been an interesting transition so far. I still wear many hats, but UX seems to be my focus these days.

• What are you current challenges?
    The transition from UI to UX. Not too long ago, as a UI designer, it was possible to whip up the wireframes prior to beautification. But now it seems there’s a hard line in the sand between the two design phases. This poses a challenge not only for us as designers, but also in communicating the two different phases to clients. As I said before, it’s an interesting transition and it’s catapulted me into wanting to learn more about UX, Design Thinking, usability, accessibility, etc.

• What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
    I’m an empathetic person to the core, so I’m enjoying the human-centered aspect of UX. Web development is such a technical field it’s easy to get lost in the bytes and bits and become totally detached from who you’re building for. It’s refreshing to change course and focus on the users. Real. Live. People. I’m a people person so I feel like a breath of fresh air has been puffed into my 20+ year career.

• Cats or dogs?
    Dogs, all day.

1 Like

Woah. That sounds AMAZING! Vietnam is one of my fav Asian countries.

Welcome. I look forward to hearing more about your travels.

2 Likes

Same here! This is our 4th year coming back. Every city, every village, every thing about it - we fall in love with Vietnam every day! We’re tempted to grow roots here, but we’re never able to decide on just one spot! So, until we figure that out, the journey continues… :grin:

2 Likes