Top 7 eCommerce UX Design Trends to Look out for in 2017

While everyone’s busy getting ready for holiday season, I have been assigned the task of predicting the eCommerce trends for a client presentation. Stumbled upon an informative blog.
Top 7 eCommerce UX Design Trends to Look out for in 2017

Go mobile first has been there for a long time, so do scrolling and material design. But Augmented reality, Immersive experiences, and personalized stores, sound really cool. What do you guys think of the trends in eCommerce? I know it’s hard to predict, can the UX experts suggest on what’s next for eCommerce.

I agree that a lot of that is happening in ecommerce, some maybe next year and some for the last 3 or 4 but how is it UX rather than merely Web design?

To me a UX trend would be something like a rise in popularity of card sorting or heatmapping rather than the rise of say video.

I guess my thinking is that UX is about the journey whereas web design is about the result.

2 Likes

Possibly, the introduction of videos in social media has altered a user’s habits for wanting video rich content.

2 Likes

Videos have been used for product pages and home pages from some time, but the new trend that’s picking up recently, is the use of videos that fill the entire screen (same with the images.) Many experts supported that product videos have resulted in an increase in conversions on their eCommerce platforms. You will find more insights on this article. Using video to increase conversion from product pages

We also found the same in our UX research such as more customers going for purchase when they see a video of the product or customer posting their own videos.
I have come across more examples of using videos in different ways on product pages. 6 examples of product videos on e-commerce sites

Hope this answer is useful.

1 Like

@neonester hi!

I think this title is confusing because e-commerce is an industry and UX is a process.

The trend, in this case, is UX - as e-commerce clients are trending towards fully embracing the process.

A trend I have noticed in the luxury e-commerce industry, though, is linking “lifestyle editorial” in digital and print with one multi-product feature and one checkout.
An example would be net-a-porter.com’s The Edit Online mobile apps and award-winning PORTER magazine: apps and print.

Combining all three - mobile, web and print for an entirely immersive and exciting, exclusive shopping experience is definitely trending with customers right now.

1 Like

That’s quite an interesting trend in the sense that I am surprised that they are doing it.

I previously worked for a fashion chain owned by a certain enobled person currently in the midddle of a pension controversy and then for an online only lingerie site and both went through a trend several years ago of creating weekly editorial to sell products, they where fully laid out magazine style spreads that had to be individuallly designed and coded every week, both companies stopped doing them as the ROI wasn’t even close to being worth the design and dev time.

@rachelreveley yeah. Totally counterintuitive that print should do so well, but net-a-porter are killing it.
http://www.ynap.com/news/porter-magazine-exceeds-expectations-with-second-year-of-outstanding-circulation-growth/
I know, I worked there. Fantastic team. Much fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

‘readers scanned products on the pages of PORTER more than 85,000 times – an impressive interaction rate of 78%,’

That is impressive.

Perhaps the difference is in converting readers to buyers rather than buyers into readers and then back to buyers.

2 Likes

Great! It’s useful for me.My name is Rebecca i am a graphic designer at Design Back Office. There is your own positive way for each E-Commerce website as well as individual style and you may not need to follow some trends to succeed. However, the information that guides your competitors and what your customers expect to see may be very valuable. So here are collected and rated in descending order of increasing Top E-Commerce UX Design Trends to Look out for in 2017
Large Backgrounds, Images Sell, Not Text, Dynamic Product Search Bar, Common UI Design Patterns
Card-like layouts, Material design, Good Banner layout, Responsive design

3 Likes

I agree on most of these points. I feel content will probably remain a huge part of the buying process. Also, absolutely crucial for SEO best practices now that Google base their rankings on content.

What would be interesting for a UX designer, I feel, is the actual outcomes of conversion rates when displaying pages with more visuals than text and larger backgrounds, and how it influences customer behaviour. Maybe findings show it is more effective at the beginning of the journey and buying cycle.

3 Likes

Possibly, the introduction of videos in social media has altered a user’s habits for wanting video rich content.

1 Like

Funny though – I hate video. I know how it’s slated to be huge, and lots of people love it, but if I get to a page with a video in it I kill it without even previewing.

3 Likes

Likewise.

That makes three.

It sends me out of my skin when they start out of nowhere with unexpected audio!

Give me a good transcript for 90% of videos. I can scan it faster and I don’t have to turn my music off.

3 Likes

I know I’m commenting on this thread after 3 years because I couldn’t stop myself.
Thanks for sharing eCommerce UX Design Trends @neonester .
I really appreciate it.

The ecosystem of consumer eCommerce is largely driven by the form of price and convenience, which is a good ideal regarding the offers on products that are delivered quickly.

If one needs to attract these customers, Gen-Z, websites today need to speak a similar language. Talking about which, let’s get to the topic of today.

When we talk about UI UX design trends like Dark Mode, Accessibility, Increased Minimalism, Content-centric Design, Dual-Screen Shopping Behavior, Personalized Digital Customer Experiences, Mobile Purchases, UX as a Business Mindset.

I have read the forum it is super amazing. I wish to give you the best platform that can help people with the best information.https://softglaze.com

Its important to know about eCommerce UX Design Trends to Look out for and Nvizion Solution has the best services for any type of e commerce buisness

Creating an Interactive Shopping Experience

Even though many people prefer to shop online, some still want to interact with the product before purchasing it. The e-commerce design trends are always exciting to see how they change. In upcoming future will be fast, clean, and attractive.

Clever Navigation with Page Transitions

Page transitions are particularly beneficial in terms of user experience. We’re going to see a lot more of them in the future. Even though they are not mandatory, they are a nice addition to improving the user experience.

Striking Colors and Attractive Typography

Colors and fonts are the most important aspects of a website design. They have particular neuro-associations that have a significant influence on consumers’ behavior.

Taking a Mobile-First Approach

According to Outer box, 79% of smartphone users have made a purchase online using their mobile devices. We are living in the age of mobile technology.

Dedicated Landing Pages for Products

It would help if you looked for landing pages as an e-commerce design trend in the future. Landing pages are digital storefronts that grab users’ attention and kick-start their shopping experience.

Storytelling Approach via Product Pages

Shifting the focus of your content from selling to solving customers’ problems is a great way to direct people to buy the product through stories.

AI and Chatbots for personalization

The e-commerce business has been affected by AI technology. Technology affects brand development, payments, security, logistics, purchasing, inventory management, and fulfillment.

1 Like

Thank you.It was usefull for me.