Should usability tests be done during visual design as well?

should usability tests be done during visual design as well? or should it be done during just phases of sketching and wireframes?

1 Like

hi @ralphc_nyc

in my opinion, the testing phases are not related to a specific design process step.
For some projects, I start to test on paper prototypes till the coded output with the production theme.
For other topics or design tasks, I can be focused on a specific step because of the lack of time/capacity.

It depends on several topics:

• on which project status we are working on (eg new product, re-design, design bug fixing)?
  • who requested to test something (eg design team, business people, it people, customers)?
  • why we think that is worth to test (eg competitor benchmark, new features)?
  • which type of test we are able to perform (qualitative vs quantitative)?

IMO, this is a definite YES.

Getting feedback at the wireframe stage is key to avoid going down the wrong road, but all of the visual stuff you add in later will also fundamentally shape the user experience in a lot of ways: visual hierarchy, perception of clutter, emotional response, etc. So you should be doing some testing with higher-fidelity prototypes as well.

Difficult part of course is finding time and resources to test in all of the relevant points in the design process, and building a tool stack that will make it possible.

Jakob Nielsen talks about this a lot - here’s a primer on his “discount usability” concept that he came up with way back in 1989 (I hope it’s ok to post links in here):

I tried my hand at building a tool stack to function as a modern version of this, which you can find here:

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Yes, I believe testing should be a part of the entire UX lifecycle, Testing validates the research and keeps the entire process on track. Users feel more engaged when the entire interface is in front of them.

3 Likes

Yes, usability tests should be done during visual design as well. Usability testing is a crucial part of the design process, and it helps ensure that the final product meets the needs and expectations of its users. While usability tests are commonly associated with evaluating functional aspects and interaction design, they also play an important role in assessing the visual design of a product.

Visual design encompasses elements such as color schemes, typography, layout, and overall aesthetics. These aspects have a significant impact on user experience and can influence how users perceive and interact with a product. Conducting usability tests during the visual design phase allows designers to gather valuable feedback on the visual aspects of their designs and make necessary adjustments to enhance usability. By incorporating usability testing during visual design, designers can identify potential issues and rectify errors in the design before moving forward with the development phase. This proactive approach helps minimize development waste and ensures that the final product meets user expectations and needs.

By involving users in the evaluation of visual design, designers can gain insights into various aspects, such as clarity of information, legibility of text, visibility of important elements, visual hierarchy, and overall aesthetic appeal. Usability tests can help identify potential issues related to visual design that may impact user satisfaction, engagement, and comprehension.

Furthermore, conducting usability tests during visual design allows for iterative design improvements. Designers can observe how users interact with different visual elements, gather feedback on their preferences, and refine the design based on the insights gained. This iterative process helps create a visually appealing and user-friendly interface that meets both functional and aesthetic requirements.

In summary, including usability tests during the visual design phase ensures that the design not only looks visually pleasing but also effectively communicates and supports the users’ goals and tasks. By involving users early on in the design process, designers can make informed decisions, improve usability, and create a positive user experience.