Matt and Luke will fight to the death

Not really, it’s more of a debate. We’ve decided to introduce debating as a way of harnessing Matt and Luke’s competitive natures for our own entertainment (and education).

The debates will take place in the Gold Members private forum. Find out how you can become a Gold Member here.

The debates will run for about a week. Anyone is welcome to join the debate by weighing in with opinions, and they will wrap up with a community vote.

The first debate is kicking off now, and the details are below.

[B]Debate #1: Usability vs. delight[/B]
[B]Topic: We should design for usability, then add delight.[/B]

As Zoltán Gócza of uxmyths.com states in Myth #27: UX design is about usability

[I]Designing for the user experience has a lot more to it than making a product usable. Usability allows people to easily accomplish their goals. UX design covers more than that, it’s about giving people a delightful and meaningful experience.

Benjamin Tollady asks on uxmastery.com

Should we design something delightful, then make it usable? Or should we make it usable first, then add delight afterwards

Luke will be arguing the affirmative, and Matt the negative.

Awww, so it’s not to the death after all? Boo. I’ve been watching a lot of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, so I was looking forward to getting all medieval. His post-it notes are no match for my Sharpie!!

Lets get ready to ruuuuummmmmmbbbbbbllllleee! LOL… :slight_smile: This is an awesome plan for engagement. I’m excited to see the results.

I’m dating a visual designer, this sounds like it may end up like one of our Form vs Function dinner arguments :wink:

1 Like

Death by a thousand post-it note cuts, Matt? Ouch. =)

We’re off to a flying start, with Luke making an impressive (and wordy) opening statement. He culminates by underhandedly calling Matt a fruitcake, but all’s fair in UX and war.

The debate is going on here, but don’t forget that you have to be a [URL=“http://community.uxmastery.com/forum/news/838-gold-members-how-can-i-become-one”]Gold Member to see it.

I’m not a huge fan of hiding content behind walls, but I totally understand why you’re doing it - I think it would be really great afterwards to move it across to an open area though - this stuff is gold, and it would be a shame for those who prefer to read (and not participate) to miss out on it.

You’re right Dean. At some stage I’ll come up with a much better idea to add value for Gold Members at which point we can have those debates out here!

Things are really hotting up now, with Matt going for the low blow and accusing the opposition of making [B]Luke[/B]warm comments!

More puns like this and we’re going to have a good ol’ fashioned slobberknocker on our hands.

It’s fair to say that I’m over-excited. I’ve also possibly orchestrated the destruction of my own workplace.

Luke has responded with what can only be considered a stroke of genius. I don’t know whether my favourite bit is when he calls Matt a rookie or when he doesn’t quote Henry Ford. What do you guys reckon?

When do we get to declare a winner, I fear it might end in a bloodbath!

Matt can rebut now and then we’ll have closing arguments. After that we’ll poll.

Edit: I was a bit hasty. Matt has already responded! Time for summations. Luke is up next.

[I]and a satisfying way for me to trump Matt and end this debate on an unassailable high note.[/I]

If that statement is anything to go by, Luke thinks he has this one in the bag!

Matt will make his closing statement now and then we go to the polls. It’s crunch time…