Looking for a course in HCI

I am currently working as a UX designer in an IT company based in Singapore and was looking to study further and get a certification in HCI. I wanted to know about any good universities that I can apply at and what will be the criteria for the same.

1 Like

Why do you want to get a certification in HCI?

1 Like

I want to get certified in HCI so that I can learn more about how users interact with the products and also to improve my UX skills.

1 Like

You could do that without HCI Certification.

1 Like

And what are some of the alternate ways to do that? Can you suggest me some of those?

2 Likes

In my experience and in my country (India) if you have a degree from a good/top college, people will tend to approach you and you will be the first priority.
For example, if I want to go to a doctor, I’d choose who is from medical college or degree of doctor.

However, if you want to save some money. You can read design books, follow designers, read articles from mediums, participate in some Design Communities in Slack. You can go to meet-ups, start working on projects.

So your main goal “How users interact with the products and also to improve my UX skills” will be achieved.

I’ve been a Designer for the past 1.5 years and before that, I struggled around a year. To improve myself, I did the same what I am telling you and the result is that I’ve been invited for UX talk in one of tier 2 cities.

Every day has to be a learning day, remember that!!

1 Like

You yourself made it clear that in order to be recognised in the industry you need to have a good formal education, that could be another reason for me to look out some courses.

I know UX education is a bit expensive and I also strongly agree with your point of joining communities and attending meet-ups etc in order to improve your UX skills and i have been doing it alongside my work schedule.

Anyways thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

but your goal is not be recognized, is it?

You asked me about alternate ways to improve your UX skills along users interacting with product.
I gave you alternate ways, recognition is different case :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

I’ve been interested in this course, haven’t seen any review for it so not sure how good it is, but it may be what you’re looking for:

@sharkbelly I had dropped this link from my list since it is just a short time course and I was kind of looking for a full time course to study in depth about HCI.

1 Like

Hi I’m glad to see someone interested in learning more to influence their designs! You can audit classes free on edx with some good universities. Then you can choose to pay for certification or pursue at a local college. Consider the track for Ux Researcher offered by University of Michigan through edx. It has some profs who are strong in the field and teaches a range of tools for understanding user needs.there may be others focusing more on cognition, saccades, etc. it’s a broad field so I recommend auditing some classes first until you are sure of the focus you want to pursue.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the information, will surely give it a try and see if it helps.

2 Likes