Ux for the rescue

Hi guys,

I have a scenario here that is most UI than UX, but this influences the user, imagine that i have a button that show payment info, just that, but if i dont have that data yet, what is better to the user, not show the button or show the button and when he click i show a message that dont exist payment yet. Its just a hypothetical situation, its just to know if its better, when you dont have the data yet, show or not show info to the user.

If it’s possible, maybe put a spinner in the button until it’s ready.

A more boring solution would be to grey the button.

1 Like

actually it’s not a async request, the payment info can be inputed (by admin) in any moment as long of the year, so its not a quick information, its like a report

In that case I spontaneously feel that it’s better to have the button and show a message. Preferably saying when the report can be expected.

You could do a combination, grey it out and either on click or hover display a message explaining what you’re waiting for?

1 Like

ciao @augusto,

As far I understood this looks like a secondary task. Maybe we are talking about a check-out process or something similar.
IMO you should do not display the button at all. In case you are going to do that you’re asking your users:

• to understand what’s going on
  • to understand that they didn’t do anything wrong
  • to face a cognitive overload (clicking on a button to receive an information that something is not available because…they have to read and understand)

I will delegate such amount of information to the confirmation message and/or email that users will receive once the transaction is closed.

1 Like

The team met to discuss this, we figure out that jacquidow solution is the best option, our users became confuse when dont see the button there and think thats is an error, but other part of users believe thats unnecessary show the message when dont have the information, so show the button + tooltip its our choice

We will use that concept in more macro situations like pages and charts, its better to programming that to, we reduce the number of conditionals in our code.

1 Like

Well done! At least you’re following a precise strategy, this is the way how to build the UX for a product.
With this assumption you already know how much it will cost if, in the future, users will not understand/complain such pattern.
I do like to believe that there’s no right or wrong approach and the best way to design good UX is to follow a strategy and refine your goals and targets according to that.

I’m not a big fun of tooltips on mobile, think about how to expose more layers of information with the basic mobile gestures of swipe, tap or drag. And remember that you have to provide a way to hide the tooltip.

1 Like

Agree with this one, they can work on click as long as they are easily dismissable.

The mobile its not a problem, our system was not project to go mobile, just now the customer is ask for it, so we are projecting just some features of system to go mobile, we have a report module that not go to mobile its a lot of data to display on it, a tablet its ok to reports but mobile ll be just for inputs, targeting the guy that is on street all day.

Again, question of strategy and business goals

be careful, mobile doesn’t means “moving”
a couple of years ago I did a workshop about this topic

1 Like