How to improve application Performance by implementing UX?

Hi All,

New to this forum. Want to get some advice from experts on how to improve application performance by implementing UX. And what are the steps taken care while implementing UX. And let me know how to handle huge data in application. Because it is slowing the application performance.

Thanks in advance

Hey Aries,
Welcome to UX Mastery. :slight_smile:

You have a few pretty broad questions there so I’ll ask you a couple of things to try and get a bit more focus on your needs, if that’s cool.

Can you give us some details of what the application does?
Are the performance issues that you’re having related to speed (and therefore possibly database optimisation) or are they specific to the way the user interacts with the application?
And lastly, regarding your question about steps, do you mean what steps are involved in the UX process generally, or something more specific?

Hi Hawk,

Apologies for not being clear.

Application is going to handle huge customers data. In this scenario just wanted to know steps taken care while implementing UX what are the areas we need to take care, when user is accessing the application. I am sure UX itself is big performance techniques if taken care since the day one of the project.

1. performance requirements for UX
  2. YES what steps are involved in the UX process generally.

Thanks.

Hi Aries

There are a few elements to the word “performance” that could possibly be a bit confusing here.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like one of your biggest concerns is about the speed of the application. “Performance testing” (also known as “load testing”) is a term that usually relates to how fast things run—page load, database queries, network latency, that kind of thing. These are problems that mostly have technical solutions.

For instance, a good DBA will write queries that only retrieves the rows necessary for a report, as compared to retrieving [I]everything[/I] and then only displaying what’s necessary. Replacing any “SELECT *” in your SQL with more specific criteria, for example, will do wonders for performance. Or a subroutine may be coded inefficiently, looping through every item in an array rather than using a hash to locate the information quicker. And your technical architect should have expertise in setting up your infrastructure (implementing multiple web servers, for example) in order to manage a large volume of traffic.

These are not things that fall under the scope of User Experience. Yes, the user experience is impacted when these things cause problems, and a UX designer may raise these issues for the technical team to address (perhaps as a result of conducting usability testing, and reporting that users found the application to be slow). There also may occasionally be solutions to performance problems that can be implemented by a UX designer (displaying useful feedback during slow page loads, such as a progress bar).

But if it’s tips on how to optimise the performance of your application, you should probably seek advice from a person or community with expertise in the technology you’re using. We’ll only be able to help so much here. :frowning:

Matt

I came across this article today which may be of interest to you Aries.

4 Way to Improve Your App UX

So…
The UX techniques don’t affect the application performance directly but help to care about it. Make the user understand the waiting time is a good way to deal with, e.g. when we open the photoshop or any adobe product.

I see a different and good way to do that in The Sims (the pc game), when they show loading feedback in funny phrases. They dont think that technical feedbacks like “loading videocards drivers…” is from focos users interest. So they put funny phrases just to entertain while the game is opening.