Find a Disney character to build a product

Hi All,

Project
I’m working on a project at the moment to define a behaviour for users to select a Disney character to build a product.

The main customers I’m targeting are mainly kids and parents.

Background
Disney franchises include Disney animation, Pixar animation, Marvel, Star Wars, Disney TV and Marvel TV. All the franchises have different storylines, universe, a movies characters associations and teams.

Problem

1. I asked someone to find Jiminy Cricket. He had no idea Jiminy Cricket was a secondary character in Disney’s Pinocchio
  2. Asked someelse to find Captain America. They knew the character but could not identify he was part of the Avengers team and the movies he appeared in…

How would you select find a character?

1. By franchise, movie then A-Z character classification
  2. By movie then character
  3. By franchise and then asked if you want to find a character by movie or A-Z character classification.

Let me know what you think is the best solution to start a journey to find a character from Disney animation, Pixar animation, Marvel, Star Wars, Disney TV and Marvel TV?

Hi Bert! Thanks for dropping in a topic. It looks like an interesting challenge!

In the interest of keeping an eye on academic integrity, is this a project you’ve had assigned as homework, a job interview, or something you’re just doing for fun? We’re always very happy to help here, but I want to make sure we’re not overstepping any boundaries when it comes to providing guidance on your project.

3 Likes

Hi Doug,

It is a real live UX project I’m working on and not a assigned home work, a job interview or something fun I’m working on.

I’m building a service to find a character to build a product (invites, t-shirts, wrapping paper, etc…)

2 Likes

Why will people be trying to find a specific character? Why do your examples focus on finding unfamiliar characters?

You give us two example problems where people are trying to find a character that they are not familiar with. I would expect most people to choose characters that they are familiar with. That is what I would do. I would choose a character I like, e.g. Captain Jack.

If the people are familiar with the character then much of your problem disappears because they can find the character using any of the paths you listed.

So are you saying that people are going to be “forced” to find characters that they are not familiar with?

Or are you saying that many people will have no idea about the characters? In this case, I would group them by desired attributes which could include “hero”, “strong”, “good”, “beautiful”, “magic”, “sorcerer”, “realistic”, “red skin”, “metallic costume”, “young”, etc.

3 Likes

In this case, it’s impossible for us to tell you, in a vacuum, which route to take. We simply don’t have enough information.

Personas and research-- both are clearly your next step.

You have a product, but you don’t know how your customers want to or are capable of using it. It sounds like you may not have defined quite yet who your target audience is, which may help. Who do you expect to use the site? Why are they using it? What are their goals? Their technological background? Building a persona is largely a research-based task, and will help you understand your target audience and their behavior quite a bit better than any other task.

For what it’s worth, kids will interact with a site much differently than adults will. This information is especially pertinent to consider in your situation.

Once you’ve defined your target audience, you’ll likely want to get a few designs together to do some A/B testing with them. This means that your audience will define your approach to your content-- as it rightfully should.

1 Like

tell more about this so i may help you!

I would select a character based on my favorite Disney franchise (Ratatouille).