Working as disabled person

Hi, how I can work in the field as disabled person? I am voiceless / mute person. Is it possible for me to work as UX / UI designer or I need to choose another career?

I mean to work as freelancer, is it possible with my condition?

1 Like

In theory it should be possible. A UX designer has to communicate a lot figure out the exact requirements, etc but that could be done in text. But it’s not the easiest path to take, perhaps software development is slightly easier in that regard.

I tried web development but it’s too hard for me. What you think of 3D modeling in Blender, can I work this as mute person? On second thought, i think I will keep on UI UX design, just with textual messages, as you mentioned.

hi, I don’t know what assistive technologies you use if any so it is hard to say. Working as a UX researcher may be harder than working as a UX designer though this does entirely depend on what technology you have available to you. You might find getting a job in a larger organisation with a team you can contribute to rather than a smaller one as the sole UX person, might be a good way to go as larger teams are more able to support each other and use each person’s individual strengths.

I don’t use any assistive technology. What assistive technology you recommend? I don’t understand this: " though this does entirely depend on what technology you have available to you”. What technology do I need?

Hi, I really don’t know what would be suitable for your needs, so I can only make assumptions. Did you study at university and use anything or in your personal life? I am mostly thinking text to speech software. If you are able to clearly communicate to customers, test participants and colleagues then I can’t see your disability as being a problem. The team I work in is 95% remote in 2 continents and one of our team members is deaf, I had no idea until she mentioned it.

No I did not study on University. I live with my parent so most of time did not need to do anything. But now I have to. I meant to use textual messages as Juilu mentioned. Is that a solution?

I can’t see why not. You may struggle to find an open minded employer but you may find that with any career path. The good ones are out there.

I know you mentioned freelancing but from my experience, getting into an established team early in your career is a great way to learn from others. Freelance roles expect you to be an expert and don’t encourage you to develop your rigour as a UX designer. I did some freelancing ealry on and didn’t find it particularly helpful in the long run. It can be a bit daunting for some but if you have the confidence to do it, then it is worth it for the experience.

1 Like

That’s what i want to hear. Thank you!

Hi Apozal,
I agree with the above comments. A field of UX Design which could be good for you to get into would be accessibility testing and design. You would be able to bring your lived experience to the team which would be valuable. Making sure digital products are accessible is particularly important to government and companies that work in the fields of healthcare and education. Good luck on your journey!
Tim

1 Like

Thank you for advice. Yes, I am learning UI / UX design.

I worked at a design consultancy and while I was there, a senior program manager who was hard of hearing joined our studio. He wasn’t a designer, per se, nor was he voiceless but this might still be applicable to you. He would have an ASL translator help him out. I felt odd asking for details because I felt it was not my business and it never felt relevant to ask, but I assume the translator was likely contracted, just as you would hire a personal assistant. I never got the chance to work with him on a client engagement, but we had weekly studio meetings via Microsoft Teams and his interpreter would join the calls and speak for him at times, as well as sign back. This worked quite seamlessly and never felt odd. I assume the same was true when he was on a call leading the design team. When we had in-person events, the translator would join. A second translator would sometimes relieve the first at what I assumed to be shift changes. It was likely an expense and I’m not sure if he paid, if our company reimbursed him, or if he had simply negotiated it as part of his salary/bonus package. I wish I could offer more clarity.

It breaks my heart to hear you consider another career, especially with how valuable differently-abled folks are to UI/UX. I hope my observations and assumptions were helpful and please consider not pivoting. I think you would make an excellent addition to any UI/UX team. I agree with Rachel that there are companies out there who view you as a catch, and that joining a team full time has much to offer. Please don’t be discouraged. :heart:

Absolutely! You can freelance as a UX / UI designer. There are many tools that can make the design process easier, and many companies offer positions that can be done from home.