Wording for a UX opt-in

We are asking our signed in users what their roles are and whether they’d like to participate in UX research. It has been a day and unfortunately out of 19 successfully filled in questionnaires only three have said yes to doing more research.

Do you think that is a reasonable yes rate? Am I expecting too much?
Do you think I could rephrase the question better to get a higher response?

I would love to be able to A/B test this but it’s not going to happen. I may be able to slide a single text change in though.

The question is:
“I would like to help make R*** better by taking part in research about how I use Radar.”

2 Likes

Maybe manage expectations around what the research looks like?

“I would like to help make Radar better but answering another quick survey/taking a 15 minute call/doing some usability testing”… whatever.

I tend to say no if it’s open ended because I don’t know what I’m committing to.

5 Likes

Thanks @Hawk, we’re not sure yet, some of it will be in-person contextual studies and some may be phone calls or emails. I can give some examples to make it look less like they’re signing up for spam.

1 Like

I’m hoping to do the same thing at the end of testing I’m doing as well, so this is good feedback.

Can you offer an incentive? Things such as in-person contextual studies are quite a big investment for people, it’s got to be worth their while otherwise most wont bother? For bigger investments, offer bigger rewards maybe?

1 Like

You’ve probably moved on but I’ll offer my thoughts. If you go with offering an incentive, I would word it as:

Get a $20 Visa gift card by taking part in research about how you use Radar.

I guess it is dependent on what kind of incentive you can afford and how involved the research is. Also, if Radar is already on the market, I think you could consider something like a percentage discount off their next purchase. However, Radar might not work that way.

Underneath that, you can have an opt-in button (as well as one that says something like, “No, thanks.”) that says:

Yes, please email me more information.

I think people also may be turned off about not knowing what their information will be used for. I know that is the case for me. I think you might want to reassure users what the research will be used for. I think that if you aren’t sharing their information with other companies etc. that that should be prominent. Perhaps something like:

Get a $20 Visa gift card by taking part in research about how you use Radar. Read about how we use what we learn here.

I hope this helps.

ETA: I would also think about adding an explanation about what you do with email addresses. It might not be relevant though if you already have that information.

ETAA: Sorry this is my thinking from someone who is learning copywriting and is not a UX designer. I should have put that disclaimer at the start.

2 Likes