Which header color to choose?

I am having problem choosing a heading color for my site. I wonder if you can help me.

My website is at this address: http://vrgamesfor.com/

I’ve created a poll showing the various styles that I’ve chosen: https://goo.gl/tp24WY

I’m free to hear any other opinion and suggestions. In my opinion, the light gray looks the best because there are lots of colors on the website from the images, so with a light header the site looks less crowded.

Thanks in advance for your help.

it should reflect a modern, elegant style, because that’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the term “Virtual Reality”

i suggest a very dark blue

2 Likes

First of all thanks for the suggestion, I will try it out. A few minutes ago I tried the same color as the website. The reason for that is that the website is full of vivid images and banners. If you add ads into the mix it just look with too much colors. I though that simplifying the header look will make the content stand out.

I can see that there is a trend in many of the most popular websites to just make the headset white or the same color with border at the bottom. The idea is to reduce clutter for websites that has lots of content. A dark header grab a lot of attention and sometimes just stills the contrast from the content (the images). When I use the same color, the content stand out the site looks much less cluttered and I think it’s easier to read and find information on the page.

Here is an image, please tell me what you think. https://ibb.co/cLs6oQ

Thanks.

Hey there,
I’ve voted.

Can I make a suggestion? You’ll likely get less biased results if you don’t say which is your favourite in the initial post. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess it’s true, I’ll keep this tip for next time :slight_smile:

1 Like

And welcome, BTW. Great to have you here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much. It’s the first time I signed up for a UX forum. I usually just search for inspiration on the web and try to adjust accordingly. I do both the programming and the design myself, so sometimes a help can make me make decision faster and more efficient.

I’ve read the color theory and how to base the colors based on the theme of the websites. But I think that there it really depends on the design of the site as well,

That’s why we’re here. :slight_smile:

Here is another example, transparent header inspired by the Blue of Sony (I assume they know which color to pick up for their gaming website):

I am thinking of changing the sub header (the big blue) to something more subtle as well.

Done

You mean it’s good?

I mean I voted on your poll. Sorry. I didn’t mean to be unclear.

1 Like

Voted! Good luck.

2 Likes

good point…i think if the content is so colorful… the header should have no color contrasting with the background color, and you can populate the header components using font contrast, Medium does that well.

hi @rnk1website
First of all congrats for your work :slight_smile:

I voted my fav background colour.
I am just wondering what is the “weight” of the header according to the information architecture you developed for this site.

As far as I understood the main goal is to provide:

• the navigation to the main categories
  • the link to the forum
  • social toolbar

Without analysing any data, my gut says, that maybe you should improve the design for these 3 items.

Last but not least:

• when I open the page with a small break point the links in the header turn to white
  • the notification subscription policy is quite aggressive, every time I open the site I receive notifications (MAC OS 10.12.15), quite annoying

Good luck for your project, I love VR!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback @dopamino, I am working on implementing some changes.

1 Like