don’t make me think
or
the design of every day?

I suggest, in order

1. Don’t make me think?
  2. The design of everyday things?
  3. The element of UX?
2 Likes

All three of those books are pretty incredible and I love Don’t Make Me Think because it’s so digestible and the first time I read it, I did it in one sitting!

+1 to the Design of Everyday Things being up first but I also agree that you should work out an order that suits you- either way you should read all three! :slight_smile:

I’d also like to add another two amazing books into the mix:

Universal Principles of Design

and

Design: A very short introduction.

The latter is a small - like pocket sized- green book that I found incredibly useful when I was starting out. I read it during my first semester at university while studying industrial design. Before we read the book, the lecturer asked each one of us to come up with a definition of design, write it down and put it away in an envelope. After we read the book, we did the same thing again and then compared the two definitions. My ‘before’ definition was something hilarious like “Design is making stuff” and like many of my classmates, I found that my ‘after’ definition was significantly more refined. I can’t remember the exact wording but the book really helped grow my thinking.

3 Likes