What is your no 1 tip for new UXers?

We have lots of new members joining who are looking at transitioning into a UX career.

For those of you that have been in this game for a while, what is the one thing that you wish you knew when you first started?

My number one thing is they should learn about empathy and how to empathize with users. This is the key to get real insights from users and be devoted to do the best for them.

Embrace the fluid and open nature of UX. Stop trying to contain, define and label it- you can’t and that’s a good thing!

I prefer start observing all the interface comes in front especially digital interface. Try to decipher it and find the reason why they done this way? what happen if I more to change it? Ask lot of questions which will give you more doubts and use the community to discuss and clarify the doubts.

This sound very philosophical but it’s a good practice, lot of fun involved and of course you will learn. Observation will definitely help you to understand and learn more about object-event-emotion relationship

Never, ever stop learning. The nature of the web, and by extension UX, is forever fluid. Make a point to read something new every day, critically evaluate sites you encounter on a daily basis, and build a social network of fellow UXers with whom you feel comfortable discussing the latest trends. Your future self will thank you.

My tip is to find a niche that you are passionate about. Do something that makes you stand apart from others, but make sure it’s something that makes you want to come to work every day.

Totally agree with @dougcollins - absorb as much as you can. Check out UX Mastery’s books, and the two from Steve Krug, look at David Travis’ course on Udemy… then go on from there. Personally, I got into UX a while back through other channels, and then suffered imposter syndrome which led me to take a few steps back and read (and re-read) as much as I could. I hope I don’t get over the imposter syndrome as it always pushes me to push myself.

Hi, Hawk! Could you give examples of niches? Thanks!

I don’t know what that means. Can you explain that for me?

Absolutely. Some people love research, some love designing game mechanics, some are interested in the more aesthetic side of design, and others are really into usability. Those are just a few examples – there are so many different aspects to UX (and paths that careers can take) and I think it’s important to explore those and find something that you love. You don’t have to be good at everything.

I’m not sure whether you’re being serious here or not, but in case you are: Imposter Syndrome
I had an horrific case of it last year when I first got into community consulting. I had to keep reminding myself that the stuff that I know is valuable to others.

I am serious - thank you.

It’s essentially the feeling that you’re punching above your weight, or that you don’t have something valuable to offer. I thought I was telling people things that are just common sense and felt guilty that they were paying money for that. Over time I realised that there is great value in having someone else do the learning first, and then condensing it into something that you can use.

Oh wow - I feel like that on and off and I had no idea there was a name for it! I go through phases where I feel like a complete fraud who doesn’t really know anything.

It’s gotten a lot better with time and I just have to keep reminding myself that I know what I’m doing and that my expertise is valued.

Wow such a good thread!

I would say most new UXers (or anyone who’s learning to do something new, actually) would go through the below “emotional rollercoaster”. There comes to a point where you question your abilities a lot and are ready to give up (at the lowest point of the rollercoaster).

But, if you just keep going, keep asking questions, trying things and and working hard, eventually you will come out the other end with clarity. UX is messy, sometimes you will feel like you are going around in circles and getting nowhere, but that’s all part of the process! :slight_smile:

Ah, I see. Thanks!

I’m a UX er with lots of ecommerce experience, a friend in my NCT (prenatal class) group is a UX consultant at an agency. I think we are both at very different ends of the industry. I thought UX was a niche but I guess every niche has niches.

That pretty much describes my last few months.

My tip would be: Ignore fads. They come and go but good UX lasts.

This article has a bunch of good tips for dealing with impostor syndrome. I also find that when I feel like I’m not an expert, it helps to remind myself I’m an expert to someone.

Love that. I totally agree. Kids are good for that kind of reminder too. I have 7 year old twins and I often hear them say to each other “let’s ask mama, she’s good at everything”. Long may that last!