What is UX-Mas?

Hey all,
@treyroady recently made a mega post thread on generating ideas for UX-Mas, and I, reading through that, was led to believe that it was something like Inktober or NaNoWriMo, where the community strives to make something for this festive time of year. However, at http://uxmas.com, UX-Mas seems to be just a collection of cool and daily UX articles that the site gives to the rest of the UX Community.

So, what’s going on with this?

3 Likes

UXmas is run by the fine folks here at UXMastery.com, and it’s sort of an UX-based advent calendar. Our fearless leaders (namely @HAWK, @natassja, and @Lukcha) ask a few community members and UX experts to submit some fun, loosely-UX-based content, to be published once a day over the 24 days before Christmas.

The 2016 edition had some great pieces. @HAWK wrote about The Laughs (And Fires) of Christmas Past, Steve Portigal wrote about flexibility in user research in his Semper Gumby piece, while Cameron Rogers and Scott Lacey gave us unforgettable UXmas at the House of Henry Ford comic.

So you get the idea. It could be videos, it could be comics, it could be articles, it could be… something else, I imagine, if someone were so inclined.

The team here recently sent out invitations to people to submit content for the 2017 version of the event, which generated the UXmas Topic Brainstorming thread.

If you weren’t asked to submit some work, don’t be too disappointed. There are, after all, only 24 spaces, and it would be impossible for the team here to include pieces from all of the great community members. If you’re interested in writing or submitting content to the UXMastery site, I suggest getting in-touch with one of the three team members listed above with a specific pitch. They’re a great group of positive people to work with.

If you need help with generating a topic idea, writing an article, proofreading, etc., please feel free to reach out to me. I’ve been writing professionally for about 15 years, and I’m happy to help out in any way I can.

Hope that helps clear things up a little!

2 Likes

Brilliant description @dougcollins :slight_smile:

UXmas is a good way to have some fun with UX concepts and ideas leading up to the holiday season. We often describe it as a ‘digital advent calendar’ that reveals an insightful little UX nugget each day of December. We’ve been running it in partnership with Thirst Studios since 2012, and it always contains a good mix of UX Mastery community members as well as our own personal UX heroes.

We look for pithy, playful, and unexpected submissions—a small UXmas gift that will spark a conversation, generate insight, or help the UX community in a practical way. This year we’d really like to see more short, creative things. For example:

• diagrams
  • comics
  • videos
  • gifs
  • illustrations
  • infographics
  • magic tricks…

We’re setting a maximum of 300 words.

If you have an idea for a submission, send me an email (luke@uxmastery.com) with an outline or couple of bullet points as a concept before Monday Nov 13. Final submissions are due Nov 27. Most spots are already filled, but we’d genuinely love to see what you have, and will try to include things where we can.

3 Likes

Thanks all!

I’ll just be looking forward to this then - I don’t have anything I’d like to add at the moment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice explanation, thanks @dougcollins :slight_smile:

Thanks for the interest @BraydnDegraw - keep an eye out for the first day of the advent calendar on 1 December!

2 Likes