What is the terminology for when a field choice autofills next field (like google translate function?)

I am creating a wireframe in Sketch and I wonder how best to describe the function of – how your ‘field choice’ autofills in the next field, kind of like Google Translate – if I write the English word for Apple, based on this choice the function will autofill Pomme (for example) or if I key in that I have €100 to spend it will let me by 3 shares…

I’m not sure if I’m explaining myself very well but I was wondering if there is a specific UX term for this behaviour and also how best I will ‘explain’ this in my wireframe?

As you might have guessed I’m at beginners level.

Thank you for your time

Hey @michelle_a_hedberg – welcome!

I don’t know of a specific term other than autofilling based on choice.

Others may know better however!

What comes to mind is “autocomplete”, but someone else may have a more precise descriptor.

1 Like

Thank you so much, really appreciate it.

Do you think this wireframe explains it properly or do you have any suggestions for how I can improve it?

Thanks a million, really appreciate it.

Do you think this wireframe explains it properly or do you have any suggestions for how I can improve it?

It does explain it but I am biased because you already told me what you were trying to explain.

Show the wireframe to some people without telling them what you’re trying to convey and see if they get it.

1 Like

Well crap, now I can’t think of anything but autofill or autocomplete. Either of those two words will do nicely, and get your point across well.

I think your graphic represents the scenario well, but as @HAWK pointed out, we’re now biased as we’ve already heard the explanation. It’s time to do a quick survey, I think!

1 Like

Thank you so very much Doug – really appreciate it and yes you are right, the only way is to test it.

Wishing you a good day.

Michelle