What exactly a UX designer does?

There has been lot of confusion. While applying for jobs UX designer required skill sets have been completely different. Organisations are expecting UX designers to design logos, leaflets etc. People are mixing up UI and UX I suppose. Just want to know your thoughts about this.!

4 Likes

Here’s a good read:

I highly recommend avoid applying for jobs at organizations that want you to do what you mentioned.

9 Likes

Woww! What a awesome article. Thanks so much for sharing. This will probably help me out defining my job even better at my current position.

2 Likes

It thoroughly depends on the job, full time work you are likely to find UX only roles, where that is your only role.

Contracting you maybe expected to know everything in the SDLC. But usually a BA will do the UX and UI and they are covered in the Business Requirements Document (BRD), as their own specific reuquirement and sub requirements which have statements on what the stakeholder requires, in any SDLC (Agile, Waterfall, Rapid), you will prototype (wireframing) with the stakeholder until they sign off on the UI requirements, which as said are fed back to the BRD, which the Systems Analyst will allocate to various areas depending on requirement, ie DBA, Code monkey, graphic designer. Then the BA and SA will jostle on turn around time, usually done in small iterations, but some companies still use Waterfall which was historically used for large year long style builds, but many have used it like agile in weekly, monthly iteration and make jokes about Agile SDLC, just joking, I do both ;-p.

Here is an example in Australia of Both.

1. Senior BA with UX/UI Skills

1. UX designer with Agile experience

UX and UI came from Business Analysis skills, as such it is now (for the better or worse depending on the Project Manager) an emerging seperate career.

Hope those 2 examples give you an idea real world what you will need to be able to do.

It depends on where you live, if you live in a large city your chances of being just a UX designer are high.

If you want to be both thats cool too. In fact its easier to become a junior BA and learn UX and UI skills on the job and then transition to being a UX designer.

Conversely I sometimes, but rarely, see junior UX Designer roles, but because its so specific, being arrow from a BA’s quiver, its pretty hard to not know the lot of UX Design, if you know a little.

On that note, thats like Business Anaylsys, many times on top of requirements which include UX and UI design, Im asked to do DBA work, or manage the entire project, which is a conflict of interest, but some companies just dont have the money for seperate people, but will pay me $2000 a day to do it. Where if I was just doing the UX work it would be $100 an hour so $700 a day.

What you are reffering to is more a mix up between UI design and graphic design, keeping in mind code has to be applied to the user interface, so you will have objects and classes, depending on whether its a object oriented application or just a web app.

But yeah, leaflets lol, just because they think you can do the UI design does not mean you are Graphic Artist and that would be a no go for me. Its a different medium.

This is good article but I believe there are more job responsibilities apart from which article has mentioned.

Like what?

information architecture: in this role I haven’t done any IA at all

last role: essential.