What Does a UX Process Look Like?

The details of the UX process that you follow will depend on a number of factors: the project, the client, the budget, the deadlines, and your experience level. There are a range of tools and techniques that you can choose from, and learning when and how to use them is the key to becoming a great UX designer.

In overview, every UX process should consist of strategy, research, analysis, design and production.

Matt explains these stages in more details in this article about UX Process.

1 Like

I’ve just added a diagram to that article. Hopefully people find it useful! Lots of people have attempted to create a definitive diagram of the UX process in the past, and I’m not suggesting ours is better or worse; just that this is what Luke and I have found works well for us.

i have recently posted an article about my ux design process in following article called My UX design process in 8 steps. Feel free to follow, comment or improve it.

One quote from the book that struck a chord for me was “It turns out that regular user feedback is at the heart of all of these approaches to product development.”

Truth.

I tend to think its a bit light on in the development phases of production AND testing. its just rewording agile business analyst work imo. but im sure there is a 1200 page manual to flesh out this process :slight_smile:

Project analysis & Scope

During this phase, the product team identifies the problem their new product or feature must solve. They also define the project’s scope, timeline, and deliverables.

Understanding the Problem

• User personas: A description of a group of people with similar characteristics.
  • User journey maps: A walkthrough illustrating how a user would use a digital product to solve a given problem.
  • Empathy maps: The process of representing users’ emotions and feelings when experiencing pain points while completing tasks using the methodology.

UX Research

• User research: Gathers information about the customers to study their behavior and characteristics.
  • Market research: Identifies market segmentation and product differentiation based on competitor analysis.
  • Competitive research: Identifying opportunities through an analysis of how competitors solve similar problems
  • Product research: Using existing product data to analyze user behavior and analyze insights is a standard process.

Wireframing & Prototyping

• Sketching: Hand-drawn sketches of user interfaces
  • Paper prototyping: Paper versions of a prototype
  • Wireframing: Digital versions of paper prototypes featuring primary lines and shapes
  • Prototypes: Digital prototypes using wireframes to test user flows and information architecture

Usability Testing

• Validate ideas
  • Identify usability issues
  • Test accessibility
  • Identify business opportunities

The design process comprises five phases, but user testing is the final. Design teams conduct multiple tests throughout the design process to validate ideas and hypotheses. For example, they might share prototypes and ideas with stakeholders to get feedback or conduct internal tests with team members.

UX Audit

A UX design project’s final stage is a UX audit to check if the new release meets the project’s business objectives, user experience specifications, and accessibility standards.

The UX process, orchestrated by skilled UI/UX agencies, is akin to crafting a captivating digital journey for users. It all starts with research. Here, the agency delves deep, understanding users’ needs and studying the market landscape meticulously. This knowledge becomes the cornerstone for planning, where agencies collaboratively set clear objectives and sculpt detailed user personas, ensuring a laser-focused approach.

Moving into the design phase, the agency’s expertise shines. They sketch out the skeletal framework with wireframes, allowing for a basic understanding of the layout. These transform into dynamic prototypes, breathing life into the concept for interactive testing. Talented designers then infuse the design with personality – through the selection of vibrant colors, harmonious fonts, and compelling imagery in the visual design process. Simultaneously, they meticulously plan every user interaction, from the subtlest button animation to complex user flows, defining the interaction design.

Testing is a pivotal step, where UI/UX agencies conduct exhaustive usability testing and A/B testing. They keenly observe user behavior, identifying nuances that elude the untrained eye. This iterative process incorporates continuous feedback iteration, refining the design until it gleams with user-centric brilliance.

In the implementation phase, the agency collaborates seamlessly with developers. Their close partnership ensures the design is translated faithfully into the final product. Rigorous quality checks are conducted, guaranteeing a seamless user experience.

With meticulous attention to detail, the product launches into the digital sphere. Yet, the journey doesn’t conclude here. In the post-launch phase, UI/UX agencies vigilantly collect feedback, monitor user behavior, and implement updates. This cyclical process, enriched by the expertise of UI/UX agencies, ensures that the digital product consistently aligns with user needs and surpasses their expectations.