What do you think is the best research method for a new website/app?

What do you think is the best research method when creating a new website or app?

1 Like

It depends on what you are trying to find out and what resources you have. I don’t think there is a ‘one size fits all’ answer here.

2 Likes

What if its a personal project and not a “real” one? Resources wont be an issue then to an extent. Lets say for example if I want to make a shopping app, then I would need to think of what I want to find out regarding this topic?

1 Like

I would say that you’re going about it backwards.

Are you designing a shopping app because you know there is a need for one that isn’t already being filled? Or because people have a problem that they need to solve?

2 Likes

I am thinking about potential topic ideas for personal projects. Then once I pick a topic I would do research (generative makes sense?) to see if I can find a problem around that topic.

1 Like

Short answer: none.

The ‘best’ method for anything in UX is usually the one that best suits the problem you are solving. Be it a business problem, user problem or something else all together.

3 Likes

“What do you think is the best research method when creating a new website or app?”

All of them

1 Like

^^^ except focus groups

1 Like

What if there is no problem? For example I am thinking about ideas for personal projects and I want to find a problem so that I can create a project.

1 Like

Well, it’s a bit of a chicken/egg situation then right?
If you are just doing some personal/practice projects there are many ways to find inspiration.
Firstly, what about your most used apps/websites? Can you find issues with them that you could potentially research and fix?
But what I think you are looking for are challenges out there taht help people starting out - I like to recommend a few:
https://bitesizeux.com/ is an awesome site where they ahve small UX type projects you could take up
https://designercize.com/ is literally exercise for design problems where you can even choose levels of difficulty .
There’s not set way of doing anything in design - you could even just pull a bunch of words out of a hat and make a project out of it.
Hope that helps.

2 Likes

For the most used apps/websites, I should be finding things that I think could be an issue but then research and test with others to see if they also have the same issue? Just want to make sure I understood that correctly.

Thanks for the ideas. What about if I wanted to create something from scratch and not existing?

1 Like

Yes that’s one way of doing it. You could even read reviews about said app/website and use that as a base

Then the two links I sent are good for that.

1 Like

ok cool. When is generative research best used? Isn’t that also a good way to get ideas for a product?

1 Like

@jdebari I had no idea such sites existed. Thank you!

1 Like