What customer triggers should we be focusing on?

Well so my companys COO sent out a mail asking me to hold a presentation about “what customer triggers should we focus on” in order to “optimize timing of communication” at a workshop. I’ve been working as a UXdesigner for a couple of years and this to me is a totally new way of dealing with user behaviour for me. Normally we as user designers focus on enabling users and drive motivations and we have a lot of techniques of dealing with this but I cannot find any research of identifying and ranking triggers that customers do at a specific site. The question seem to come from a error-handling perspective but with a positive twist to it? I’m a little at a loss here, any suggestions on where to start?

Wow, I’m a bit stumped as well. Are they talking about just in time notifications based on on-site behaviour? Can you tell us a bit more about the site?

It sounds like an approach based on awareness of the overall customer journey. Do you have information about what people do throughout their experience with the site (and context extending before, outside/parallel and after)—specifically things like decision points, frustrations, task switches, etc? If you’ve mapped that kind of thing the trigger points should be relatively obvious and will help you understand the implications of timing communications at whichever points you’re considering. Tips here and here.

Indi Young’s work on defining mental models (see her book published by Rosenfeld) might be pretty helpful for you too.

Would love to hear more details of what it’s about.

2 Likes

Yes I think you are pin-pointing it. It might not always have to be “just in time” but finding the optimum appropriate mean of communicating based on defined on-site behaviour. The topic is mostly focused on making sure the users do not leave the site with a bad experience.

1 Like

I have user flows and user journeys for the whole site but customer journey maps for only parts of the site. You are right that a broader CJM could probably help me out here, I’m going to set that in motion. Experience maps I haven’t done since school so I’m going to refresh my knowledge there. I could probably combine those techniques with identifying drop offs points with google analytics. Thank you for the book tip, will read!

Also if you know of any research about receiving direct feedback, since my initial thought is that I would not like to get notifications about my usage of a product without me asking for help.

I don’t really have more details since the presentation is supposed be a start-off for a bigger project and we are going to set the direction and the details for it after my presentation.

I’ll politely dip out of this conversation because of the product type, but someone else may be able to recommend some sources for research around direct feedback?

1 Like