UXer looking to learn visual design skills

I’m a UXer with interaction, IA and research skills. I want to learn to produce final, pixel perfect designs that focus on typography, imagery and colours.

what tools would you suggest? Im looking for something fairly easy to use. Ae they any online course you think might be worth taking?

Thanks

K

2 Likes

Hey there,

I’m not sure I understand. It sounds (to my inexperienced ear) that you’re simply looking for something like Photoshop? Or are you looking for something that produces an interactive product?

1 Like

I’m looking for something other than Photoshop. I don’t find this very intuitive. I can use Sketch for wireframes I might look into this

2 Likes

I don’t find Photoshop intuitive either! I was just trying to process your question.

Maybe this will help? The Workflow of a UX Designer

3 Likes

You need this: https://uxmastery.com/resources/tools/

3 Likes

Sounds like you want to learn graphic design.

3 Likes

Sketch can be used to create pixel-perfect designs. Same for JustInMind, AdobeXD, Photoshop, Illustrator, and really a host of other pieces. Check out @HAWK’s link for more.

As far as learning the skills to create great designs, you’ll need to look into more graphic design work. Check out this list of free online graphic design courses, which are great places to get started.

4 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Affinity is new yet very intuitive. MAC only however.
John C

I :blue_heart: illustrator for designing and that’s what I’ve used for web design (but only because I haven’t learned any UX design software yet :slight_smile: ) Once you get the hang of it, it’s incredibly easy, flexible and fast to work with, because it’s vector based/focused, which photoshop isn’t (I only really ever use photoshop for photos).

Adobe XD is now for free, so that will be my next software to learn. I see it as somewhere to start before moving on to something more suitable, ie Sketch.

I use 80% Lynda and 20% youtube when learning new software. Lynda is invaluable to me, their videos have helped me get up and running in new software in a matter of hours!

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Is it the tools you want to learn or visual design skills?

The two are very different things.

Most tools for modern digital design can be learnt pretty quickly on the job but that doesn’t mean the designs you’ll produce will look professional.

If it is the visual design skills you want then it would be some sort of graphic design course that you’d need.

I started an online graphic design degree from a well-known organisation recently as despite doing this stuff for 20 years, I don’t actually have a degree in it but the course material ranged from irrelevant to out of date to just plain wrong so I complained, got my money back and am now writing my own graphic design course in a book which I plan to finish in a few weeks.

James Victore did an interesting talk which you can buy as a video course thing. It’s a good place to start.

1 Like