UX Writing Portfolio

Hi all,

I am looking to make the jump into UX writing and content strategy, and I was wondering if there are any UX writers on these forums who might be willing to help an aspiring wordsmith. I am currently in the process of putting together a portfolio, but I am not quite sure how to go about it since I don’t have previous experience working in a UX writing position or a consumer facing company. My background is primarily academic. I did my PHD studies in classical languages at UCLA. I also hold bachelor’s and master’s degrees in history and classical languages from the University of Arizona, and a certification in curriculum design and instruction from the same institution. I feel that my background in linguistics and education is relevant to UX writing and content strategy, and I have been taking steps over the past year to educate myself in UX methods and best practices, in addition to learning the basics of UI design.

I’ve been completing the daily UX writing challenge (https://dailyuxwriting.com/) and creating some mock-ups using programs like Figma, but I wonder if that is enough for an entry level UX writing portfolio. I am also kind of at a loss as to how I would go about illustrating process in the context of hypotheticals and faux case studies.

I realize that the first position I get is probably going to be contract, and I am perfectly fine with that. I just want to make sure that my portfolio is up to scratch before I begin the application process and reaching out to recruiters.

On a tangentially related note, has anyone here taken any of the paid UX writing courses that are available online, e.g. through the UX Writing Hub or UX Writer’s Collective? If so, thoughts?

2 Likes

Hello! It’s great to see you back around these parts, Hunter.

@melanie_seibert may be able to help you here!

1 Like

Thanks @HAWK!

Hey @hunternielsen_ca! Your experience is totally relevant. Welcome to the world of UX content work. :slight_smile:

There are a couple resources for UX writers/content strategists that you might really benefit from.

The first is the Content + UX Slack group; fill out this form to get access: Join the Content + UX Slack Group That group contains lots of UX writing-specific advice. And if I remember correctly there is a list of portfolios in the group. When you get in, DM me and I’ll look for it.

The second is the Content Strategists Facebook group: Content Strategists Public Group | Facebook It’s another good place to ask questions. Some folks there might know about the courses you’re asking about.

Good luck!

1 Like

To add some advice… speaking as a hirer (we just hired a content strategist whose job includes UX writing), I think Figma mockups are great.

I’m personally less concerned with the form factor of the portfolio piece as I am with the writing quality. Especially with a new practitioner, I don’t expect them to be a visual designer. A good UX writer is difficult enough to find without adding requirements!

Be prepared to talk about your rationale for the words you chose. Explain (as much as you can) how you narrowed the words down to a concise call to action, for example, and kept it in active voice with lots of verbs. Stuff like that is really helpful.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you for your help @melanie_seibert ! It is much appreciated.

I’ll be in touch via Slack at some point.