UX Research Enthusiast - Where Do I Start ? Career Advice?

research
training
ux

Hello. My name is Arsema, I am 20, and I am a senior studying Psychology (Bachelor of Science). This is my last year of school, and I have found UX research about 3 months ago. I love it.

I am passionate about research, and want to go for the career of a UX Researcher. I have read books, but never have had any experience. I have the opportunity to work in a human factors lab this semester to collect data from potential users of an exoskeleton that we are making to target movements, to work to support their needs, also working with testing another population that is healthy, doing focus groups, making questionnaires/evaluating them, and conduct interviews.

I feel like this is a good opportunity to get UX Research experience - but some had said it’s too much human factors. Any ideas? I am working really hard this last year to get opportunities for research and learn as much as I can to hopefully get into a good UX research job after graduation (April 2019). If anyone would be open to being a mentor, I’d appreciate it.

Please leave comments on ideas for me to get more experience, if this is good experience for getting hands on UX Research/Experience, any comments on my pace, anything please… Thank you :slight_smile:

I think it sounds like a great idea to get more hands-on experience, as you have also suggested.

In addition to internships and similar I’d also consider to:

• Find some kind of non-profit organization you really care for and help them by doing some pro bono work related to UX research.
  • Observe friends and family and observe what they are struggling with in their daily life. Offer to solve their problems and perform research to better understand their problems.

Make sure to document your experience along the way. In both design and research portfolios I think it’s most important to document the whole process that lead up to the end results. Here’s a great article that touches upon the topic of a strong portfolio a bit deeper:

Finally, I’d also encourage you to (once you have done a few projects in the area of UX research) to explore other aspects of UX too, e.g. interaction design, information architecture and UI design.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! This has helped me :slight_smile: I will read that article asap!!! What do u think about my upcoming project?

It sounds like a great entry project! Make sure to document as much as possible along the way. I think that with your attitude and willingness to learn you’ll go a long way. This project will definitely be a good start in doing that :slight_smile:

I think that human factors will be great experience for you.

Thank you. Do you feel that this is getting experience with UX Research?

Thank you for your advice. I will document :slight_smile:

Yes, I do. Definitely.

Thank you!!!