UX Portfolio Feedback

Hi everyone!
I’m Fabio, a UX designer and I just finish to modify my .pdf portfolio. I tried to explain the process without being too long.
Every feedback is well accepted!

Here’s the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15MUuPHfu94QymJfsLVFtihsXt69kGnJl/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hey Fabio!

A couple of small points –

• it’s well laid out and easy to follow
  • it would benefit from a light English edit – there are a few spelling and grammatical errors
  • I love the level of detail in your case studies and the balance of text to imagery is great
  • the storyboards are a cute idea
0 Likes

Hi Fabio — pressed for time, but two things jump out at me immediately. Forgive the directness, but this stuff matters:

1. Your first page is a wasted opportunity. I’m a recruiter: tell me something valuable about you that convinces me to spend another 30 seconds going to the next page. What’s unique about you? Who have you worked for? What results have you achieved for those people? What makes you different than the other 24 portfolios I’m going to look at in the next hour?
  2. The fact that this is a PDF portfolio — not a website — is an immediate strike against you. That’s unfortunate but true. You’ll be expected to be familiar with web technology. Not necessarily that you can code, but that you understand the importance of a strong, compelling online presence. This absolutely needs to be a website if you want most of these folks to seriously consider you.

Hope that’s helpful. Put yourself in the place of the client or recruiter, and do not assume they’ll spend more than 5 seconds debating whether or not to look at anything. Hit hard, with immediate value, at first glance.

3 Likes

Thank you very much, I noticed the errors and I’m correcting them!

0 Likes

Hi joe,
I’m a big fan of you and I literally consumed your book about UX strategy, your advices are like gold for me!
Thank you for spending your time to give me your feedback!

3 Likes

Great advice from @joenatoli. I just wanted to give an alternative point-of-view on the PDF issue.

It’s not always the case that a PDF portfolio is an immediate strike against you. Joe is absolutely correct that a strong, compelling online presence will boost your credibility, but it is possible to have a successful career as a UX Designer without one. I freelanced for 10 years for digital agencies, brands and corporates, using a LinkedIn profile and a PDF portfolio. In my market (London, UK), many recruiters and employers actually prefer a PDF portfolio, because they can scan through it quickly and forward it to others by email. It’s also really useful in interviews as a tool for presenting and discussing your work.

I think it’s important to mention this, as in my experience, many UXDs get stuck early in the process of self-promotion because they don’t have the technology skills to create a kick-ass website. A PDF portfolio can be a very good way to get over that initial hurdle, work out how to tell the story of your work and get yourself out there. A website can always follow later.

The most important thing is to do your research and know your local job market. Talk to recruiters and employers and listen to their feedback. In the US, the lack of a portfolio website may indeed be a big strike against you. But here in the UK, you can still be successful without one.

3 Likes

@michael_h I’m curious if that’s a sign that organizations in the UK see UX a little more clearly, as what it really is — strategic instead of tactical. Any sense of whether or not that’s accurate?

The issue I described is absolutely born from misunderstanding of what UX really means, what it is, how it’s done. So it’s an unfair expectation, but still very, very prevalent here.

1 Like