UX Boot Camps (Bloc vs Designlab vs Springboard vs CareerFoundry)

Hi @richard_oliveira92,
Did the chart on my blog answer your question?

The chart was amazing and very helpful. I just wasn’t sure if you had any experience with both of them or heard good or bad things about them?

Hi,
I’ve mentored at both of them. DesignLab has more portfolio projects, which is good. CareerFoundry goes into more depth, but only has one portfolio project. I have heard better things about DesignLab recently.

2 Likes

I was leaning more towards Voice User Interface design but haven’t heard to much about it. Design lab seems to be cheaper

I’ve heard good things about VUI program. You would have 2 portfolio projects then. It’s good to have at least 3. You can always volunteer or do contract work to get more projects.

1 Like

@jdebari I talked to an adviser from Bloc a couple of days ago who said that frontend coding is only about 1/8th of the program and the rest is all UX/UI curriculum. Do you know if they’ve updated their curriculum since you’ve posted this comment in May '18?

@stacie_rhead, I am mentoring there now and literally half the curriculum is front-end. Also, they have very little UI. It is visual design like typography and color theory, branding, etc. Right now, in good conscience, I can not recommend this program. Thinkful bought them and there are multiple platforms to do things. The entire system is a mess. :frowning:

1 Like

If you had to choose a UX/UI Boot Camp, overall which one would you choose?

I don’t know Springboard’s new career track very well, but I think either Designlab’s UX Academy or CareerFoundry are fine. It’s really what you put into it. Taking a UX boot camp won’t make you a UX Designer overnight. Once you’ve graduated there is still a lot to learn. The boot camps teach technical skills, deliverables, and some process. But there is a lot more to being a UX Designer than just those things.

I would read The Design of Everyday Things, Meeting Design, and Articulating Design Decisions to see more.

4 Likes

What do you think about the Nielsen Norman UX certification?

Hi @andrea_rpm – welcome!
Let’s ask @rachelreveley – I believe she’s done it.

1 Like

The certification requires you take their 3 - 5 day course and then pass a multiple choice test. As far as learning goes, I don’t really recommend it as it is too condensed. Also, there are no recognized certifications in the UX industry. All these certifications you see are just companies offering their own version of UX training. NN/g is a really good group, but the certification is expensive and doesn’t really add anything to your career. If you can get a company to pay for it I wouldn’t say no, but it’s lecture and a test. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

jdebari beat me to it. I pretty much agree.

I found it useful as I wanted to transition from web design/front end, had very little time or money as I was working full time and recently returned from maternity leave. I was able to (con)convince my employer at the time into paying half the cost and I squatted (with permission) in a friend’s empty mansion for the week which was fun in itself.

It is lecture-based with a little bit of workshopping in a few of of the classes. The multiple choice is pretty easy and you have 3 tries to pass and you could pause at any time during the exam to check your answer. The one I didn’t pass the first time I think was due to my disagreeing with the answers a bit or where there were arguably multiple correct answers. didn’t walk away with anything for my portfolio which would probably be more useful.

I used the NNG Certification on my CV to get my first official UX job which was an instant £10k pay rise from my last so in that respect it paid for itself in half a year. I don’t really remember much of what I learnt and I didn’t find any of it particularly revelationary.

2 Likes

Thank you for the chart! I have a background in academic social psychology research and applied organizational behavior research and I want to transfer my skills to UX. What program would you suggest for someone without a UX background who is interested in Design Research? I’m currently deciding between DesignLab UX Academy or Springboard UX Career Path.

I am not very familiar with Springboard’s new Career Track. I think it is basically the same as the other one, just a portfolio project and job guarantee. Both are good programs. Unfortunately, no UX program focuses that much on User Research. All of them have more of a general overview. I might go with Designlab because they also have a short course in UX Research and you could probably get a discount.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Hey Sarah – welcome.

Stop. Breathe. And take some short online courses to see which parts of UX you love before dropping your cash on expensive bootcamps.

If you want to be a web designer, learn web design. If you want to be a UX designer, learn a UX discipline. Don’t learn the former because you think it will open doors because while it may well do so, they won’t be the right doors. You’ll be working as a web designer (which is great BTW, but only if that’s what you want to do).

1 Like

I agree with what @HAWK said. Be more clear on what you want to do. Web design is different than UX Design. None of the UX Design programs are going to prepare you to be a web designer. Web development and web design are different as well.

From what you’ve said, I think you need to be more clear about what you want to do. Or if you just want to go into web development because that are the options near you, you should find a web development boot camp. Bloc.io has that. Wanting to learn UX, but going into web development will just make you unhappy.

1 Like

@HAWK @jdebari

Thank you both for taking the time to respond! I appreciate the feedback and agree with your suggestions. I’ve continued researching and think I have a more clear idea of which path to take now. Thank you again for the help

1 Like

Hello everyone! I am about to start course work through either Springboard or Careerfoundry. Still weighing my decisions as springboard could potentially be much cheaper but CF also gives access to their UI program in read only and front end web dev read only. They also have a specialization. So I am trying to see if people have experience in both or one or the other than can shed some light. I’m aiming for a fully remote position which I’m not sure qualifies for springboards guarantee. Any experience insight is appreciated!

Hi @kpez16, a remote job doesn’t qualify for either CareerFoundry or Springboard’s job guaruntee.

I would look at the jobs you want and see if one program is better suited for you based on skills. Keep in mind with both programs you only get one portfolio project. You’ll need to do more projects to have a competitive portfolio.

1 Like