UX Boot Camps (Bloc vs Designlab vs Springboard vs CareerFoundry)

Hello @petey_misa, I cannot speak to the Designlab UX Academy program, but I did take their Design 101 course. It included original instructional content for each week’s lesson within the learning platform, with some linked articles. For that course, I would not say that the linked material was greater in volume than the course material written for the lessons within the platform. The content was written in a simple and straightforward style.

1 Like

Hello everyone, new user here. First off, I’d like to thank everyone for the wonderful discussion. It’s been very helpful.

I was also looking into CF, Springboard and DesignLab when I found another resource: The UX Design Institute. They are based in Dublin and are supposed to be the only online accredited UX school. Their accreditation is done through Glasgow Caledonian University, European Qualifications Network, etc . You get a diploma at the end of the course which according to them has a US equivalency to an Associate’s Degree. Cost is about $2,500. I requested a syllabus to get more information about the courses.

My problem is this:

In broad terms, I understand the differences between UX and UI design. I know I want to do UI but I wonder if the two can be separated in the real world. I know large or tech-oriented companies would have separate roles for them. But I get the feeling that most companies would actually combine them. Which means my pool of prospective employers would shrink.

1. Is this an accurate assessment?
  2. Would it make sense to study UX to focus on UI, or would it be overkill and unnecessary?
  3. Does anyone here have experience with UX Design Institute?

Thanks again.

2 Likes

@gaflores. I’ve read about the UX Design Institute and I took their online UX Training. The content was good. I don’ know much about the program though. Are you able to find any alumni to talk to?

You could study UX overview and focus on UI. I think CareerFoundry and Bloc.io might work for you.
You could also try Designation, except it has 12 weeks in-person, which I am not sure works for you?

Hope that helps.

1 Like

@petey_misa, I agree that CF has original written content. It is well-written and easy to understand. CF is also very good at taking the whole UX process very step-by-step, broken into little pieces. They iterate on their content as well. When I first mentored their the writing was not as good, but it is much better now.

From what I remember, DesignLab has a mix of articles and their own written content. It is more overview with the work being the real learning. At the time, I was surprised it was all reading and no videos, but that may have changed.

As far as taking one course over the other if you are looking to get a job, I would say DesignLab because you get three portfolio projects versus one or two with CareerFoundry.

3 Likes

Thank you for the input. I actually started with a course from Udemy by Joe Natoli. It’s an UI-centered course and I really like it because he approaches design as a problem-solving discipline. I highly recommend this to any designers out there and right now it can be purchase for a pretty good price.

I decided I will take the UX Institute course in August and will complement with smaller courses on specific subjects throughout the year.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Let us know how the UX Institute goes. It would be helpful to have data from an actual student. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m in the Design 101 course right now and I can confirm this statement. It definitely takes a lot longer than the estimates they give per unit. Readings and projects actually take a lot longer to complete. Knowing this, I expect the UX Academy course to take even longer to complete each section.

1 Like

Hi! I am from the UK. I have been researching intensively for the past 4 months to find the most suitable UX Design full-time design course for myself. My shortlist so far are Career Foundry and Springboard (both courses are called UX Design Course).

I talked with both suppliers, some graduates (from UK and Spain) and read both syllabuses. CF does not give much away on their syllabus, so I asked them to confirm content in hours. CF claims have about 600+ hours of content and SB claims 400+ hours.

Price comparison SB is cheaper but when compared purely per hours of content CF seems a better value.

I was about to commit, then wanted to do a final google search " Career foundry Vs Springboard".

So happy I found this threat which has GREAT insights. HUGE THANKS to YOU all for your time to share your experience with these courses! I had a call with the Design Institute just now and they claim their course is between 120 and 150 hours of content. Plus the qualification Level 5 UK/EU. When I asked if the mentor and course manager would be happy to give me tips for UX job interviews at the end of the course they said of course. They seem helpful and very knowledgeable of the UX Industry, or as good as CF and SB. From the outside at least.

1 Like

Hey Vita, welcome. I’m glad you found this topic useful! Thanks for following up with the extra information. It’s even better when this topic is kept up to date.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Been in contact with CareerFoundry yesterday and their course provides the opportunity to complete three full projects.

@colaj001 Thanks! Did they give any specifics? For years it was one project that was the same and then one optional project with a specialization. Three projects would be new…

quoting from the email:

"In total, you will be able to add 3 full projects into your portfolio and each project will contain 3-4 project pieces. "

1 Like

I just applied to Springboard excited about the $1500 price tag and was surprised to see a $6000 price tag. :frowning: Yes, there were different payment plan options: monthly, up front, deferred etc. but the upfront and deferred were around 6K or more.

Also, I went to your link and got a 404.

Does anyone have discount codes or know of scholarships for any of the cheaper bootcamps? (Even the cheaper ones are hard for me to do.)

thanks!

Here is the link, https://www.juliad.com/blog/which-ux-career-accelerator-should-i-go-to. Let me know if that doesn’t work. Wow, 6k seems like a lot for Springboard. I know some do scholarships. I thought CareerFoundry was one and Springboard.

Not sure where you are located, but FlatIron does ISA (income share agreement, where you don’t pay until after you get a job).

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick reply and the link! Thanks also for the extra info on scholarships!

Kara

Can you tell me which bootcamp you think is the best value between careerfoundry, springboard, bloc, and designlab?

I would say with UX Academy or Springboard. They are roughly the same as far as curriculum. Technically, Springboard says 3 portfolio projects, but it is really only 2 as the first one is an update of your original project you learned on. I bet either would work something out with you if money is an issue. Have you emailed and asked?

1 Like

Thank you so much for writing me back. I’ve talked on the phone with advisors from Springboard, Bloc, and Careerfoundry. IMO they said similar things: -cost is 6 to 7K, payment plan options available, will take about 7 to 8 months to complete at a pace of 15-20 hours per week, offer a mentor. (Bloc is 9k but she seemed sure I would qualify for the scholarship lowering my fee to 6.5K) I haven’t contacted UX Academy yet. I’m having difficulty deciding. So you think in terms of curriculum, Springboard or UX Academy are the best choices? I’m sorry I’m asking for so much help.

No worries!

Bloc’s program isn’t very good as far as UX. It has a lot of front end programming, but if you are into that it could be good. CareerFoundry’s curriculum is good, but it’s a bit slower. It’s good for people with English as a second language.

You could go faster (don’t know your work situation). I know one person that did Springboard in a month.

Did you check out FlatIron?

Hey! Thank you everybody so much for this valuable thread. Really helps to “listen in” on everybody’s conversations.

I was wondering if anybody had thoughts about the Flatiron UX program? I know that it’s significantly more expensive# than, say, Designlab which seems like a great option. Wondering what people are thinking? @jdebari ? :slight_smile:

1 Like