Using "Any" as a default filter setting

I have my opinion on this issue. I’d love yours:

My client wants to use the checkbox “Any” on all filters in their search tool. Cites Zillow as an example:

Redundant or helpful?

Best, Jeff

I think it’s hard to judge this choice without considering all the essential details of the project. However, I can see how having this option can be useful in some cases. I think in many instances, having “Any” selected as a filter is equal to not filtering the results by that specific criteria. But, I can think of times that the user chooses a particular filter and then changes their mind and wants to revert that filter to its’ default state ( which can, of course, be accomplished in other ways ). Therefore, having this option can be useful for such a scenario. Though, even in that case, it’s essential to consider if “Any” is the right choice of word for your case or not.
Still, I think it’s important to know what is the reasoning behind the client’s request to find out if there is any better solution to achieve what they have in mind.

2 Likes

“Any” does look strange to me. Also it is difficult to glance which filters are selected and which are not.

Showing minimum and maximum values for a range (square feet, lot size, year built) instead of Any-Any text would be more logical and informative, I suppose.

There should be a possibility to make multiple choice for the Bathrooms and Parking spots filters, so a bar with options (like your Bathroom item) would fit to me. In such a case I don’t see why Any is put there if a user could just unselect the options which makes it clear that the filter is not applied.

1 Like

Use “Any” by default. It’s helpful from the user perspective. The system will allow users to go on a flow. Users don’t need to tap on every field to select their preference. You should also allow the user to save the search with a “Title”; so that they can use the same filter over and over again.

2 Likes