Unsure of my Checkout Process

I am wrapping up development on a website for a business that I am starting. The website is a combination of an online newspaper/magazine, has an online community, and offers items for sale (e.g. site subscriptions, eBooks, T-shirts, etc).

Thanks!

1 Like

the more steps you have in my way to get to something I want is frustrating.

You’ll need some kind of content I can access without having to register at all “I want to see what I’m buying”, aside from that your process is OK. Just try and make account creation totally pared down:

The best I can think of is a pattern
User hits subscribe>
User goes to payment page>
Payment page has email field>
On payment, subscription is activated and email is sent confirming account creation.

you’ll also need some text that says “by clicking this button you agree T and Cs blah blah”

2 Likes

That’s an interesting case. Check out my suggested flow:

Page 1: Create Account

• User inputs name

• User inputs email and presses <send verification email> button near email field
    User gets an email with a numerical code that should be pasted/entered into a field near email on this page

• User enters code and presses <verify>
    ‘Verified’ is shown near email

• User enters a password

• User clicks “Create Account” button.

Page 2: Sign TOS (user is already logged in automatically)

… all further stuff you described including payment

Considering this numerical code email. In case a user closes the “Create Account” page, verification email should also contain a link to the “Create Account” page with user info already filled in. Don’t know your technical restrictions but generally, all this stuff can be stored in cookies or transferred while pressing the Verify button.

I’ve gone through the similar registration process with verification by number, but can’t remember where it was exactly. I’ll try to recall.

1 Like

Stepping back for a moment…

Even though it would be a pain to fix things up now, my inclination would be to set things up the way you want it in the end, rather than iterating later.

1 Like

I don’t think the process is bad, I’ve experienced such flow before. Depends on the potential users engagement. If you have things set up already, you can give it a go, I suppose. The tests will show :slight_smile:

I just need to clarify one thing: you are worried about incorrect emails being entered?

You’re being very caught up in the ‘what-if’ scenarios

But to anyone else reading, account creation for ecommerce sites is dangerous idea and needs very careful design

1 Like

I agree with “Do once, do it right” however I also know that A LOT of startups go out of business because they spend too much time perfecting things while their competition zooms by them!

I need to get this website up and running in the next month or so, or it’ll never happen?!

Well, the very best of luck to you. I think you’ll have challenges. Make sure you set up analytics to check how your process fares.

1 Like