Uncommon UX Specialties

It is a pretty large undertaking, but it’s a manageable one. I don’t need to be an expert in every one of these fields (or any of them, for that matter). I just need to break it down into manageable chunks.

I expect the book will be somewhere around 70,000-100,000 words when it’s all said and done. I know that seems like a lot, but it’s really not that bad. The hardest part of any good writing project is the planning, research, and later revision.

I have a post here about my first steps, and although I plan on keeping this community up-to-date, most of my book updates will likely show up on lostmegabites.com.

1 Like

I’m late to the party Doug but I’d be interested in several areas related to what you mention:

• UX of AR and VR as it relates specifically to film and TV.
  • UX of health related products / how UX affects healthcare (this touches on both digital and physical UX)
3 Likes

Better late than never, right?

I will add both to my list. AR and VR have so much potential, and their use in the film industry has some great potential. It will also face some pretty big pushback, especially in-theater. You’ve seen it in movie goer’s reactions to 3D movies, and VR in particular will have to jump over many of the same hurdles.

As far as healthcare goes, I was thinking about this a bit today as I was giving blood. I was just getting stuck when a really grating electronic song came over the speakers. Everybody in the truck gave a shudder. It was a fleeting moment but a crucial reminder that, when it comes to healthcare, all aspects of your environment matter.

3 Likes

Thanks for considering my suggestions, Doug.

Bad digital UX for the average site or app may mean someone abandons a shopping cart.

Bad digital or physical UX for a healthcare related product can be the difference between life and death, it’s true.

1 Like

Certainly different UX specialties have different stakes at play. In my previous job, I designed digital signage for everything from hotels to professional sports teams. Nothing I did was really that impactful, and I was more than okay with that.

These days, I work for a company that hold billions of dollars in other people’s money and helps investment advisors manage clients and trades on the open market. A stupid UX mistake could cost many people their livelihood.

It’s a bit more stressful.

1 Like

You are totally correct about stakes, Doug. Thank you for the perspective and the reminder. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dougcollins
I admire how you separated VR and AR - I think this move is very future proof!
I really dig the cases where customer isn’t necessary a product user but I’d love to read about some edge situations where product’s final user isn’t even human (internet of things?).

1 Like

Thanks! That’s definitely the idea. The trend is to lump those two together (along with AI, because people seem to like joining together two-letter-acronyms into single groups).

There will definitely be discussion on products without humans as the end user in multiple different disciplines. When it comes to AI in particular, the consequences of non-human use have already proven to be very interesting.

3 Likes

@dougcollins Hello! I’m doing a research of Adult Content UX Study cases but I couldn’t find any material. Did you find something?

Sorry for the delay in responding! I haven’t found anything useful, but have been contemplating conducting some research.

1 Like