Transitioning from Web Development into UX - Is a masters degree required?

I have been freelancing as a web developer for almost 2 years and have interned as a developer during my summers in college. However, I want to make a switch into UX and wonder whats the best way to go about it.
i. Should I immediately jump into an internship as a UX designer and if so, would my experience as a web developer be enough. (My portfolio is very basic mainly involving projects where I focused on front-end development).
ii. Should I focus on doing boot camps / online courses and then apply for internships/jobs or
iii. Apply for graduate programs in UX / HCI to colleges abroad. Is a masters degree recommended to thrive in the industry and if so, which cities around the world should I look at in order to find a great job upon graduation.

Hello @yashku – welcome!

The answers to all of your questions can be found here. :slight_smile:

If you have the opportunity and capacity to do an internship then that’s a fantastic way to get some experience (and projects for your portfolio) but make sure you’re not being taken advantage of. In some cases, employers see internships as a way to get someone to do work for little or no money.

1 Like