Toast messaging!

So - I haven’t really dealt with these yet somehow. I’ve found some vague guidance but I’m specifically looking for examples of toast messaging used on a desktop WITH some sort of “toast rack” - I also need to be sure this messaging is accessible and compliant with AA guidelines - it sounds like that can be kind of tricky. Any living examples I could see or guidance to be offered around toast? Thankyou!!

2 Likes

Toast notifications are terrible UX. They provide a lazy solution for designers asking where to put small errors or updates. They are poor UX because they rarely appear close to where the user is focused. They are easily missed by many people but especially by anyone who may have poor or no peripheral vision like myself. Error or success messages need to be clearly visible nd close to the point of focus of the user.

2 Likes

this would not be for error or success messaging. it would be for a low priority notification letting them know there is a certain benefit they have but they have not used with and to take them to that page with contextual information. nothing detrimental or even necessary for them to “know” just helpful if they weren’t aware. it’s intended to be low priority and not get in the way of what htey are doing. We already have all kinds of messaging, a side rail nobody ever reads and a message at the top of the home page that cant be removed.

2 Likes

Yes, very nice question

I understand the need for a desktop toast messaging that is accessible and compliant with AA guidelines. There are a few open source libraries that can help you achieve this goal such as Toastify, Toast UI, and Toastr.js. These libraries will provide you with the tools to easily create engaging and accessible toast messages.