Thoughts on this interview process?

I’ve been scheduled for an interview. I’m not sure if I should go because I think it’s an abuse of time, but I’d love to hear others’ thoughts on this. The schedule is as follows:

10:00am-10:40am Introduction
Meeting with:
User Experience Manager
UX Researcher

10:50am-11:35am Front-End and Design Skills
Meeting with:
Lead Engineer
UX Designer

11:45am-12:30pm Product Session
Meeting with:
Product Manager
Product Manager

12:30pm - 1:15pm
Break for lunch

1:15pm-2:30pm Pairing session
Meeting with:
User Experience Manager
UX Researcher
UX Designer

My two concerns:

1. Is four hours acceptable? If that’s the standard now, then I’ll go with it.
  2. Can anyone share what the difference is between a Product Session and Pairing Session?

Sounds intense. The longest interview I ever had was 2hrs. Is this for a senior position?

1 Like

@ux_dude It is

2 Likes

Good luck!

1. Four hours is a lot. As you work your way up the corporate ladder you may experience longer interviews with more people. The size of the company matters as well - in general, you see these types of interviews with larger companies that can afford to lose a lot of time from their workforce to do interview sessions. I still wouldn’t expect this length for anything less than a UX Manager role.

2. I’m guessing that both are some sort of paired design challenge that you’ll be completing - one with a couple of product managers, and the other with a UX Manager, UX Researcher, and a UX Designer. I’d reach out to my contact at the company for more clarity on these, however, as it could be something completely different.

Honestly, if it were me I’d be on the fence about going, too. I’d lean towards no, but that’s just me.

1 Like

I have had interviews as long as seven hours. This format is pretty standard in the SF Bay area. I am not sure where you are located…

The pairing session is usually a design exercise with a whiteboard where you will work with the various people on a design problem. It should be a fairly general problem, not something specific to the company. If it is, that’s a big red flag.
The product session is how you work with PMs. They’ll ask you product questions and want to hear how you think through them and work with the PMs.

2 Likes

@dougcollins I agree that maybe I should ask them for more clarity

@jdebari I’m located in NYC. And yes, if it’s anything specific to the company I will decline as well. The only thing that worries me is that they want me to sign an NDA which definitely makes me suspect it is company related…

1 Like

NDAs can just be general company information, not necessarily related to the design challenge. Everytime I go to the LinkedIn office or the Dropbox office for a meeting I have to sign an NDA. :slight_smile:

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Be weary on interviews like this. I once spent a whole day interviewing and not getting the position. But the solution to the problem they had me work on was implemented. I was furious.

Where are you in the interview process? Is this the second interview???

Still, it’s too much… I would expect this on the week of starting the position.

Ask questions. What is the purpose for all the sessions?

Good luck

1 Like