Starting UX as a non-designer

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question but what’s your opinion on pursuing a career in UX without any background in design? I have received a few recommendations for books that I need to start with but what about online courses ? Anything small to start with before I signup with either CF or DesignLab? Or do you think with so many courses spread out all over the place it will be better to have some structure and infact start with bootcamps like Designlab and CF? Or does it make more sense to do a combo of Springboard and Lynda ?

CareerFoundry vs Bloc vs DesignLab

@Vicky - Welcome to the community!

I’m not sure how to answer all your questions, but I do know that you do NOT need to have a background in design in order to become a UXer. From what I’ve seen, the main requirements are passion and time to devote to it.

You’re definitely in the right place to begin your journey.

Hey @Vicky – I support what Piper says, you do not need a background in design (esp. not visual design) to begin a career in UX. We come from very diverse backgrounds and there are several UX routes you could take (e.g. research) which don’t rely on any kind of design knowledge. Regardless, design can be learned.

I’d start by taking a few of the cheaper courses here. Take some diverse ones – you never know what you might like. I’d do several before I invested in a boot-camp. Lynda is a good option too. :slight_smile:

As long as there is spark inside you, no one will care do you have design background or not. :slight_smile:

I’ve been in this position and I can tell you - I had no prior experience being a UI/UX designer and still managed to get in. I started with Lynda and gathered as many books relating to UX as I could online and physical. Start off with ‘Don’t make me think’ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Make-Me-Think-Usability/dp/0321344758.

Talk and ask as many questions as possible to all of us and people on Linkedin. We’re always more than happy to answer :slight_smile:

@Vicky
Hey, Vicky… So my background is in television video editing… I am not (nor do I want to be) a visual designer. I did bootcamp, have created a couple of projects on my own to build out my resume… but to be honest, it has not worked. I feel like the market here in the US is getting flooded and a lot of companies aren’t hiring jr. designers. Definitely a lot of the students from my designlab class landed jobs. And many of them excelled at visual design/wireframes, even if they were not visual designers. If you learn visual design from your bootcamp, and designlab has really started to focus a lot of their program on UI, I think it’s a fast way into the industry and you’ll most likely land a job… If you prefer to focus on research, or another aspect of the UX process, I suggest looking at the bootcamps and learning more about their focus. I’d really love to see statistics from the bootcamps on how many people get hired/ what positions they were hired for/ what their age is/ what their previous career was.

Hey thank you for the suggestions. I am starting off an intro to UX from Lynda by Chris Nodder. I was wondering if there is a pattern I need to follow for learning about UX . I mean there are videos on wireframing and prototyping and Mockups and Usability but I am not sure in which order I need to move. Would you or anyone else have any information on this :)? Thanks again for all your help.

Hey @inca431 thank you for taking the time to explain this to me so well. I plan on doing a bootcamp eventually but for now I guess I will start off with some books and online courses that are easy on my budget. But I am closely looking at 2 bootcamps as of now i.e. Designlab and Career Foundry.

Hi Annabelle,

Thanks for letting me know , that’s a relief that prior experience in this field is not really an issue. I will add the book you mentioned to my reading list :).

Chris is great.

No, there is no pattern, it’s up to you. You could start with an ‘Intro to UX’ style course which will give you an idea of the whole process first up and then you can figure out where your learning gaps are.