Stage 2: Research- Project: Portfolio

Hawk, sure. So this was me wanting to do some research on what makes a good resume. I have been looking at some ux resumes and they seem to be very visual which i like but i wanted to get information from people who deal with them everyday. I also wanted to see what the preferred format and file types were. I figured this would be a good chance to also get permission to interview them for our portfolio project.

Here is a link to the survey.

https://titanstudio.wufoo.com/forms/mxrmvcs0pa61ht/

Nice, thanks everyone. Im getting some interesting feedback so far. I will post a report. I also got several willing participants for skype interviews on the portfolios.

Here are the results of the survey thus far. If you scroll down to the data table you can see we have 5 willing to do Skype interviews for the portfolio. I think this is a good start. We now need to define the questions we want to ask for the interview.

https://titanstudio.wufoo.com/reports/resume-ux-report/

I was thinking of using one of the portfolios on Hawks list (thinking this one: http://www.andyhugelier.com/ ) and do a usability study with the recruiters for a baseline.

Thoughts?

Ok, time to get this project back on track.

Those survey results are excellent (aside from the ambiguous ‘non-traditional’ question results). I see that the overwhelming majority of people prefer Word as a their preferred file type for a ‘resume’. Did you specifically use that word? I wonder if the people surveyed were thinking along the lines of resumes, or specifically of portfolios, which are a very different thing…

I love Andy Hugelier’s portfolio, not least because it follows a format that we’re pretty used to these days, so I think it’s intuitively easy to follow.

Are the people that answered that survey recruiters that knew you were talking about a UX role?

Hawk,
The survey was resume only. As i researched ux resumes i seen a large number of them, with claimed excellent results, did not appear as traditional resumes. Some even resembled infographics more than resumes. Yet most recruiters swear they dont present well. I ran this survey to see if that was still the case and it appears it is. Perhaps its a regional thing.

While running the survey i asked the last question asking if they would be willing to be interviewed over skype about portfolios which helped us get participants for this phase of portfolio research.

Initially, i thought lets interview them to get a better understanding of what they look for. However, i did a lot of research on ux portfolios and decided to create a hi-fi fully funtional portfolio based on that research. Now, i think we should actually do contextual inquiry on those recruiters using my site and go from there.

If that makes sense, i will finish up the prototype in the next few days but we can begin planning the user testing now. Would anyone like to do 1 or 2 inquiries? Keep in mind these are recruiters based in US EST so may present some issues for the peeps time wise. Otherwise i can perform them and post videos.

We could begin working on a script for the user testing now as well… We can either base that on basic ux portfolio research or do personas with user stories? Or… Im open to suggestions.

-Noq

I talked this through with the team today and they back what you’re saying – UX recruiters often prefer ‘resumes’ in more traditional formats such as Word (which may be because they import them into another software platform). I’m not sure what that means in regards to this project.

Would anyone like to do 1 or 2 inquiries
Do you mean interviews?

Hawk,
The resume report means nothing to this project per say, it was separate research i performed. I posted the results purely as informational and most importantly because the table shows the recruiters that are willing to do interviews, in regards to portfolios, along with their contact info.

My thought was instead of doing research interviews, we do full on remote user testing on the site i have with the recruiters. That is why i say “inquiries”. If that is not the correct approach then my apologies. Research interviews would certainly help as well. Or perhaps we are just mixing symantics lol.

That is why i say “inquiries”. If that is not the correct approach then my apologies.
Not incorrect at all, I just needed clarification. :slight_smile:

I think that doing remote user testing on the existing site is a great idea. I know that I’ve seen it already (assuming by ‘site’ you mean your interim portfolio), but have you published it for the group yet?

So, next step is to do some interviews, and collect some data from other sources too? I’d suggest a competitive anaysis and some hunting through analytics (such as Google Analytics) for the existing site, if available.

Hi, just wanted to touch base with everyone. Forums can be tough to communicate through for something such as this where team input is so vital. I will tell you where I am at in the process and we can pick it up from there.

I went ahead and performed competitive research using the links in HAWK’s article. I also did an impromptu email interview with Dr. David Travis to get his input. While I want to give the Ux process its due diligence and learn as much as I can from it, I have been getting quite a few linkedIn hits asking for portfolios.

In addition, I wanted to get some answers on how to recreate my resume. I did some competitive research there as well and found that what I was seeing resume wise from the Ux community differed from long time resume beliefs ( i.e. keep it to 1 page, don’t use graphics, don’t put pictures of yourself, etc.) So I devised a quick survey and sent it out to the recruiters in my LinkedIn profile. To try and kill two birds with one stone, the very last question on that resume survey asked if they would be willing to do a Skype interview on portfolios. We have 4 that were very interested in willing. So we have that list here in the resume report (if you look at the first data table, the last column indicates yes or no for the interview). We actually had 5 but one did not put their name in. My bad on that… should have made it mandatory.

https://titanstudio.wufoo.com/reports/resume-ux-report/

Emma Jones - emma@mitchellake.com
GeorgieCarpenter - georgie@10collective.com.au(AU)
Hillary Mueller - hmueller@brooksource.com
Jason Hamberg - jhamberg@cohesion.com

So, while it is still a work in progress, here is my new prototype Portfolio. I have not sent it out to be proof read yet so excuse the grammar. If anyone is good at that sort of thing and would like to help please feel free.
http://titanstudio.net/jc.html

My thought is instead of doing basic research with the recruiters above, we instead use my prototype site as our baseline and actually do some user testing with it via remote moderated (or unmoderated) testing. That is kind of where we are at right now. I would also like your guys feedback in it, since you are also stakeholders and subject matter experts.

If we are all in agreement, I think the next step would be lets come up with a user testing script. (I was thinking perhaps a brainstorm session via the forum) and then assign them the task of doing the moderated remote tests.

Hope it all makes sense.
-Noq

1 Like

Ok, we’re getting somewhere.

So now we: [LIST=1]
[]Write a user testing script
[
]Use that script to run user testing (via Skype) on this prototype site with the 4 recruiters listed above
[/LIST] I haven’t written a user testing script before so I can’t take the lead on that, but I’m going to call in @mattymcg and @Lukcha
In the mean time I will write up this project where it currently stands for publishing on the uxmastery.com blog, and we may get some new blood to take part.

If its remote moderated i cant see it being all that different script wise as being there physically. Unmoderated i think the difference is that you need to be pretty detailed with the script since you cant guide them like you could with moderation. The one thing i learned at a usertesting.com webinar from Steve Krugg is to make sure you test the script first before doing it to make sure it works. These would be my thoughts but would like insight if anyone has it on remote testing. @ASHM has some experience with this i believe.

I have some experience writing remote testing scripts, although it was a while ago. They weren’t moderated.

You’ve had some interaction with the test subjects via the survey already, so they’ve got good context. The biggest hurdle I faced with usertesting.com was that the subjects really were from all walks of life, and didn’t have the same kind of context. So they just didn’t get some tasks, or they went off on completely unrelated tangents or got completely stuck, and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. The biggest hurdle you’re likely to face here is technical glitches—what will you do if their Skype connection is patchy, or the website goes down? Also, be sure to make a note of any cookies/clicked links/caching that needs resetting before each test.

I agree that testing your script to make sure that there are avenues where test participants can skip ahead if they’re stuck is definitely important, regardless of whether you’re moderating it or not. It should give you some insight into what you might have missed. But there is still the potential for someone doing something completely random that you don’t anticipate.

And sometimes that’s the most interesting … other times it’s just a waste of time. :slight_smile:

It’s good that you’re moderating the tests as it will be valuable experience.

So perhaps the next obvious step would be to start a new thread to write the script, and then testing it on us as a dry run?

Sorry guys… Been feeling under the weather. Let me get something up this weekend.

Great points Natalie. I agree overall it’s pretty good—captures enough personality without too much fluff.

I think your objective is much better, too, @Noquarter. And I agree that removing the deadlines make sense given you want an emphasis on the learning.

I have one idea for how to measure how much you’ve learned at the end of this process.

[I]Write about it[/I] (for UX Mastery, of course).

There’s a saying that goes “when one person teaches, two people learn.” At the end of this project, if you were to write up your thoughts on the process and list what you’ve learned along the way, the quality of that article that would reflect how well you’ve understood some of the principles and applied the techniques along the way. We’re pretty discerning about whether something gets published (which is why we don’t post new articles all that often, even though we receive many unsolicited submissions). So if it passed our quality radar (in terms of the quality of the insights/learnings recorded, not the quality of the writing—we can help you with that) then I’d say that we could infer that you had learned a certain amount. Of course this is arbitrary, and one never stops learning, yada yada. But it’s a start. How does that sound?

I guess the other criteria would be how well the final product performs in the marketplace. :slight_smile:

I’ll give some thought about finding a mentor. My gut feel is that it should be separate to this project. We do get a few requests from the community on the best way to go about this. I’m not sure it’s actually that tied to this project though. There is the IAI mentoring program, there’s meetups, and Luke and I were running Q&A webinars for gold members at one point which in a way are a form of mentoring. This fell off the radar as we’re a bit time-poor, but it’s something I’d like to consider running again down the track.