Splitting long case studies/ portfolio pieces

Is it worth splitting a long case study for a project that you’ve been working on for a long time?
Being the only UXer I did EVERYTHING for a project that involved quite a bit of research, design and testing. Is it worth making it 2 parts or one long one or bite the bullet and cut out less relevant parts. I know most will say keep it concise and to the point but I’m finding it hard especially since I’ve been on it for so long. What do you all do on large projects that you want to present?

1 Like

You’ve put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into the project, but you don’t want your audience to.

Create the portfolio with the audience in mind, rather than your history.

2 Likes

I agree with Piper. Keep it as concise as possible.

That said, I’m going to call in my favourite portfolio expert, @deprecated

2 Likes

but i want to show how coooool I am! :slight_smile: I can do everything. A UX Superman! hehe I get ya though I just wonder if there has ever been a case where it needed to be 2 parts?

1 Like

Take a look at this ux portfolios review by David Travis who is a ux teacher of a nice Udemy course. The first guy has a huge portfolio :slight_smile:

Maybe you’ll get some insights.

1 Like

Personally, I’d split it up so it’s more digestible for the reader. A project can’t just run indefinitely. I’d imagine it was split into epics or features? Choose a feature or deliverable and tell the story of that one part, and then perhaps link to other related bits that the reader can choose to move on to if interested.

Also bear in mind, some parts of the project are more important and showcase your skills better, so choose wisely. You don’t have to tell your life story, just tell enough to whet the readers (recruiters) appetite for more so that they call you in.

2 Likes

Hi Joe, thank you for taking the time to write, I really appreciate it. I think your last sentence was gold. Would you say it applies to a project that had more than one result? For example a redesign of a major website that involved improving user frustrations with navigation/wayfidning and interacting with content as well as improving sign up conversions. Would I focus on one of those things? Thanks again.

1 Like

This is also great advice. Interesting strategy

1 Like

Amazing advice, I love your work BTW!

2 Likes