Reviews of career foundry.com UX/UI course?

training

I just heard about careerfoundry.com and its UX/UI course. It sounds good–daily little assignments with mentoring. I’d love to hear from someone who has taken it, though it’s pretty new.

Does anyone know of any reviews of this course? From people actually taking it?

Thank you! --Doug

The UX Mastery Community’s Own Guide to UX Training

Hey Doug, welcome to the community.

I don’t know anything about the course, but I just checked out their website and it certainly looks impressive. I’d love to hear from anyone that knows more about it too.

Hi Hawk,

Thank you for the welcome. If I find out more, or sign up for that course, I’ll post something here about it.

Doug

Great, thanks.

Have you taken any other UX courses?

I’ve taken the udemy class User Experience: The Expert Guide by David Travis. I might have first heard about it on this site, can’t remember now. It was great–thank you for the recommendation.

Right now I’m in the middle of the coursera class Human-Computer Interaction by Scott Klemmer. Also quite good, and the six part class project is very good experience. My first UX project.

I’m liking the sound of the careerfoundry course, but will at least wait till I finish the coursera class before starting it.

Ah yes, Dr Travis’ courses are great. I’ve reviewed one or two here.

Nice. How do you like Coursera? I’m currently doing their Social Psych course and I’m absolutely loving it.

The coursera HCI course is very good. The lecture materials aren’t all new to me since I took the David Travis course, but I’m definitely learning stuff. The project assignments are the best part, and the peer review are helpful, though quite time consuming!

Hey @dougc and @HAWK,

If you have any further questions about the CF course, I’d be happy to try and answer them. Obviously coming with a bit of a bias as I helped write the course and work at the company, but if you’d like to speak to people who have taken (or are taking) the course themselves I’d be happy to do that. I’ll also make sure some of them know about this forum incase they’re interested in contributing directly.

All the best,
Emil

Hi Emil,
Well, I signed up for the course at careerfoundry.com and started it last week. So far, it looks really good. Takes more than two hours for the assignments for me though, I think!
Doug

Hi Dougc, Hows the course at careerfoundary.com going. I am also thinking to start it. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Hi Vidhi,
Sorry for the late reply! I’m enjoying the careerfoundry.com course a lot. The mentor is a big help. It’s a bit hard to keep up with since I have a day job, but you now have the choice, I think, of signing up for it a couple different ways…faster and slower paced.

It could use some improvement, but generally I think it’s quite good and worthwhile.
Doug

Hi Doug,

This post has proven extremely useful. I was just wondering on your thoughts of the course now that you have probably finished and no doubt had time to reflect on the course.

I am considering joining but will be doing it part time alongside a full time job, my plan is to use this course among others (some of which are mentioned in this thread) to make a switch to a career in UX but the career foundry course would be the major part of my study plan. Do you think this is realistic?

Thanks in advance…

Paul

Hi Doug! How are you? Have you finished the course? Was that good?
Hi Paul, have you started?
I wanna start too but I want some reviews before because the price is pretty high for me!

Thanks!
Mapu

I’ve decided I ought to get involved here in the forum. So, now that I’m looking at it I see your questions. Sorry for the late reply!

I thought the careerfoundry.com course was very good. They cover lots of aspects of ux design, you get to develop a good project, adding pieces as you go, and having a mentor was brilliant. You get to email them during the week and have a video Skype call once each week.

They’ve raised the price since I signed up, so it’s a harder choice now.

What you don’t get compared to a brick and mortar school (like General Assembly) is talking to and working in teams with other designers, or even developers.

If you’ve got the money, and some time (I did it while working for myself and having a light workload…the reason for my career change!), and don’t have a local school or prefer to study online, I’d definitely recommend it.

I have to admit I’m still working on filling out my portfolio…need to buckle down and do some more of my own projects. So I haven’t applied for any jobs yet!

Doug

I’ve decided I ought to get involved here in the forum.

That’s what every Community Manager wants to hear! You just made my day.

I’m going through the Coursera Interaction Design (UX) course right now and about half way through. I enjoy what I’m learning and the assignments are good. The videos by Scott Klemmer are good, but can be dry at times. Sometimes I have to watch twice and take notes as I’m learning. The assignments can be as good as what you put into them. What I mean by this is that you can pass each assignment whether you’re putting little or lots of effort. The potential is there, but the grading system is by other peers and there’s no opportunity to speak with someone if you need live feedback. They do provide a forum to post questions or comments, but it’s just not the same as being able to talk to other students or professors. If you put in a lot of time and effort into creating the best possible assignment you can do without real feedback, you can still get a lot out of it. I wish I had a friend taking the course with me so that I’d have someone to chat with and bounce ideas, even talking about each topic or aspect of UX. If you take the Coursera route, I suggest trying to get a friend to do it with so you can interact live with someone. Both of you will get the most out of it by simply talking about and reviewing each lesson and assignment. I really wished I had that.

edit: Coursera is no longer free BTW, I paid $280 US for all 8 courses in Interaction Design

I found that a struggle also.

Hello Hawk or anyone out there,

I’m new to this Community, but really want to jump in. I am currently a Full-Stack Developer, doing mostly Front-End, but I am really excited about the prospect of UX/UI design. My background is tech, art, and psychology and I feel as this would be a unifying field for me. Can someone point me in a direction from which I can start. There are so many things I have seen on the net and just want a good starting point that doesn’t waste my time and money.

I live in Boston, so we have a myriad of Meet-ups, University courses, and even some Bootcamps. I’ve looked at General Assembly and I would have to say that price is kind of steep. I also see the discussion here about Coursera, which are enticing, but will I be wasting my money? Lastly, I too have run across CareerFoundry’s website and it looks promising. All in all, I need a starting point with anything that can help me build a portfolio, learn a high-level UX design process/best practices, and get me job ready. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Hi @dsharpnote – welcome, and apologies for the delayed reply.

This post might be a useful starting point. It pulls together all of the sorts of questions that you’re asking, along with answers from the community here.
This one is also fantastic. (You will have gotten a voucher to buy the extended ebook when you signed up here.)

Have a read of those and then feel free to ask any further questions and we can dig into specifics.