Redesign an app

Hi community!

I’m very new here, and since I have some experience wireframing and prototyping, I never did a whole project from scratch in terms of UX (Research, analysis…)

To get some experience I’m trying to do a redesign from an app which is pretty bad in many fields, but sadly, you can’t get another option if you use a Fujifilm camera, yeah, the app is Fujifilm remote control. Really terrible if you ever used basically it doesn’t work.

My idea is to rebuild as a personal project, following an UX methodology from the beginning and comment all the steps, but since is my first one I’m not sure the good path to do that.

I was thinking to do some competitive analysis and user testing with the real app. Then create personas and a user journey and get some insights from that. The last part would be wireframing and the visuals, but I’m more focused on the analysis and research. What do you think?

Some suggestion would be highly appreciated it :slight_smile:
This part to plan all kills me and all time get frustated with this…

Thank you community!

1 Like

Hello!

Good on you – this sounds like a great first project.

This should give you a good framework from which to build it out. Have a read through and come back with your questions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @HAWK !
I will have a read now and post if any doubt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also here’s one useful case study how to redesign an app. Read the history of Instagram redesign

1 Like

I have a question why do you think that project needs to re-design from scratch?

Redesigning an app can be a very good idea. In the case of the guy in this link, it even landed him a job!

1 Like

It is good to read some cases from the market e.g. https://xsolve.software/blog/ezycount-swiss-saas-case-story/ where you can find step by step instruction how professional company did it. You can study few cases and get some good ideas how to begin your redesign project. Better to learn from someone’s mistakes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Id personally follow an SDLC methodology, and within that in your business analysis, Business Requirements Document, you will have Prototyping which will include your UX, follow a UX Framework.

Keep it simple, Business Requirements have numbers, prototypes are a subset of a business requirement, ie 3.1.1

Your SDD should match your proposed solution to each of the requirements. Your User Requirements Document numbers shouldnt match them, your System Design Document should match them.

Otherwise cheat and use Agile.