Problem discovery and solution discovery

So I just joined a team in a medium/large UX driven company a few weeks ago. All my past jobs I was the UXer. Time to test my imposter syndrome and also beef up on terminologies and theories.

My boss has been talking about problem discovery and solution discovery. I can’t find anything when I google it apart from general product discovery. Beyond the obvious of what it says in the title, can anyone send me in the right direction for some information?

Hey Rachel, without diving into methodology details, problem discovery loosely follows the customer discovery process - how can you find a relevant group of research participants and ask them open-ended questions in order for them to share details about the problems they face. I wrote a blog post all about discovery research before that might help. You can find it at: opinionx . co / blog / discovery

• You can just do these open-ended questions qualitatively through user interviews at a decent volume
  • You can take it into a quant step with keyword frequency analysis on your transcripts
  • You can do the same ^ but with survey open-end responses (grouping into themes, usually manually in a spreadsheet or using tools like Thematic to analyse for keyword groupings automatically)
  • You can use a tool like OpinionX to do both at once (gather open-end responses and organise by importance automatically) if you have a fairly big audience already that can be part of this research

Let me know if you have any other questions - have been working on discovery research for the past 18 months so can share more info if you have follow ups.

Daniel

Check out this list of product discovery methods https://pdmethods.com/ as well as this problem framing toolkit Problem Framing Toolkit | Templates — New Haircut

This should provide you enough information to dive deeper.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. It was the way it was split out that had confused me but I’m now about 60% through my first split project so things are making more sense now.

1 Like