Newbie here

[SIZE=14px]Hi all,
Hopefully this is the correct forum and proper way of interacting, first time poster and brand new to the UX world. I feel like I have always been a UXer (proper usage?) without knowing it even existed. Technology has always been a passion of mine, and until recently it has been more of a hobby. After stumbling upon a job in the website world a couple years ago, I continue to be fascinated with the infinite possibilities and ideas out there.

After discovering the UX world and industry I knew that’s where I belonged. Almost 30 years old and finally finding something that will pay me to do something that I love. I recently enrolled in a UX program and the class started this week. The first few courses have given me the vibe when building a portfolio it’s almost more important to show how I arrived at the solution than the actual solution? I feel it’s comparable to having to show your work on your math test. In school I always hated having to show my work in math when it came to multiple choice questions because I could usually increase my odds of guessing the question by using deduction for all the answer options, but if it was required for me to show work I would be screwed. However, if I know somewhat of the math formula, I could feel my way through the problem solving and even if I missed the question, I would still get points for being on the right track. UX isn’t always about knowing the exact answer, but feeling your way through the problem. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I want to start with best practices and I feel like the instructor knows his stuff, but it’s a newer school and the last class was the first UX class they offered. Any and all advice is welcomed! Thanks![/SIZE]

Welcome Nate. Great to hear that you’ve rolled up your sleeves and are working through a UX program.

You’re absolutely correct in your observation that one of the core principles behind user-centred design is making informed design decisions. Much like in your school maths test, designers should be able to defend the decisions they make, and a good way to do that is to be transparent in showing how you arrived at a certain conclusion. Sorry, there’s no multiple choice in UX! There’s actually never any right answer either, just a bunch of data (people), techniques, insights, and deductions to guide you on your way.

Definitely have a read through our process and [URL=“http://uxmastery.com/resources/techniques/”]techniques pages. There are a bunch of [URL=“https://www.youtube.com/user/uxmastery”]videos that we’ve published about these techniques too, that you might find useful.

Cheers!

Matt