Need guidance in conducting my first brief with business client / product owner

In a couple of days, I am having a meeting with the product owner. The client is a local supermarket chain. They want to add some new features to their existing mobile app and I will do user research and will prototype my suggestions. The company is well known (I am also their customer), but currently I have no idea of what they want to add or change in their mobile app.

I will have about 1-1.5 hours to talk to them, and after that, I will be able to communicate with them only online until presentation. So I want to extract as much useful info as I can during the meeting.

As far as I can imagine I need to ask about the feature they want to implement:

• What value will it bring to the company
  • What value will it bring to the users
  • How do they plan to monetize it
  • What pains users have related to the new feature
  • What technical restrictions may arise
  • Do competitors have any similar feature
  • Is there any related example I could explore

What else would be important to ask? Maybe something more general about their company?
And maybe you have some useful lifehacks for doing effective interviews with business clients?

2 Likes

Maybe, in addition to pain points, you might ask what users appreciate about the app?

That’s all I can think of. Your list seems quite comprehensive to me.

This sounds like an exciting project. Keep us posted! :slight_smile:

Ah, right! Thank you :slight_smile: And also what do they hate about the app :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • what is success criteria I.e KPIs/metrics?
  • Do they have Personas? If so which ones are they targeting?
  • Any other background research, competitor analyses, supporting docs etc?
  • what other apps do they like and why?
  • What are similar apps to benchmark against?
2 Likes

Thanks you @lykc ! I did the interview today and your questions helped a lot!

Need to analyze and synthesize all this conscious of the unconscious now :slight_smile: I am happy I managed to make an audio recording!

4 Likes

Fantastic!