Making an online portfolio

I’ll try to be as brief as possible. I started off as a graphic artist, doing freelance graphic design and later web design in 2007. I was approached by a UX researcher doing visual design in 2009. It started off slow but after about 3 years as a visual designer i transitioned into UX design. Fast forward to today i recently updated my resume and have been getting contacted quite heavy by companies looking for a ux designer. 1 in particular wants me to have an online portfolio. after coding for about a week i;m not really happy with the design. but I was only given appropriately 48 hours to have the site up and running.

so my question is it better to have less content, but more polished. where i can show only a few of the apps Ive designed and actually show the complete process from though to final mock-up.

or would it be more impressive to show the sheer number of projects Ive been involved in. even if I dont have the time to include the full breakdowns.

2 Likes

Definitely the former. UX portfolios are all about process. I’d prefer to see 2 or 3 really well documented projects than a whole lot of brief outlines.

2 Likes

Show the work you’re proud of, and the work you want to be recognised for. If you’re applying for a job as a UX Researcher for example, it’s really nice if you made that nice print brochure a few years back, but not really relevant right now.

Polish 2 or 3 cases, and highlight the process rather than the amount of shiny designs you made. Less is more, and all that :smiley:

2 Likes

thank you for the advice this is exactly what I’m doing. I’m going to only show 2 or 3 full case studies.

1 Like

thank you, I’m taking your advice to heart and cutting out all the fluff. I’m showing only 2 or 3 case studies with complete breakdowns and details.

2 Likes