Looking for inspiration and feedback

I’m working on a project that would make it easier for healthcare providers to report on their patients and read reports from colleagues.

Target audience:
Care providers working in long-term contemplative care such as: youth care, elderly care, care for the disabled and mental health care.

Context:
Care providers working in long-term contemplative care need to report on their patients because that is the only way to keep track of the care process. And it is a good way to inform colleagues of good/bad changes. Patients in this domain are in care for multiple years and see a lot of care providers at the same time. Good communication is key.

The problem:
Each healthcare provider writes a report in its own way. Long sentences, short sentences, catchwords, abbreviations, subjective, objective. There are methods for reporting, but no method is applicable to all types of situations. In addition, they write not only for themselves but also for colleagues, managers, patients and the patient’s family. all these stakeholders have their own needs and interests that the healthcare provider must take into account. Combine this with a high workload. Writing and reading reports is a complex task that takes a lot of time that could have gone into care giving.

Challenge:
How do we make it easier for healthcare providers to write reports on their patients and read reports from their colleagues.

User stories to take into account:

• As a healthcare provider, I don’t want to spend too much time administering my work so that I have enough time to provide quality care to my clients.

• As a healthcare provider I want more structure in the reports from colleagues so that I do not spend so much time understanding them.

• As a healthcare provider I want to take all stakeholders into account when reporting so that I do not cause unnecessary suffering when they read my reports.

My ideas:

• A digital coach that gives you suggestions and tips while you are writing your report.

• Totally structured input screen which would make every report structured the same way.

• AI that would make a visual summery from each report that is written so every stakeholder could easily see what it is about without having to read it.

I’m a bit stuck and would love some creative inspiration and feedback.

Hi @timovssn

This is such a great idea! I used to fill out the patient reports for doctors in the emergency room, so I know the importance of these screens. There are already so many systems in place for these reports (also known as EMR or EHR) and would recommend doing a competitive analysis on the softwares provided which could help come up with a solution. Personally, I used a software that had a structured input screen and also a section to allow for voice notes for an other section in case the patient’s symptoms needed extra explanation. I hope that helped you.

Hey! What project did you actually solve?

This is a wonderful idea. Besides, the software it can also be valuable to provide a close-ended questions while writing the report. For example, compare to yesterday how is the patient’s condition today - better, worse, no change . The heathcare provider has to choose one and proceed to the next one. This comes from a UX researcher perspective.