Junior UI Designer need help on Product Measurement

Hi everyone, I am a junior UI designer since 2020 at Indonesia. I’m currently working on a Automotive Website Development Project, and new to Design Thinking process to develop a better product/design. I need to present a quantitative measurement on how my design is making the product better, but I don’t know how.

Any advice on tools or methods that I can work on this?

Salam kenal, terimakasih (Thankyou)

Hi Nik,
I’m a senior and i still struggle with convincing management this is an important part of my job.
There are of course the obvious stats – I’m not sure what the goal of your site is, but for an eCommerce site, it’s simply selling product. Breaking it down, you may want to measure how long it takes someone to add something to a cart, and then how long it takes to check out, how many abandoned carts, etc.
Start with Google Analytics stats, and then look at getting some heatmapping software like Crazy Egg or Hotjar. You will learn a lot. Keep in mind, pulling insights out of data takes time, and it’s rare for management to account for this in a project plan, so if there is a BA on your team, this could be something you could get them to do whilst you are busy designing. I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Hello Tim,

Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps a lot, actually we kinda go with your way, and now our team are setting up using Crazy Egg for heatmapping tools to gain more insights on the user experience. (because of course Hotjar is like crazy expensive for our team :D)

I hope that you are willing to giving further enlightment
We know that tools like Google Analytics provides raw data, it’s just telling us what goes right and what goes wrong, but it doesn’t really explain to us why it’s good or bad. Hence, we need heatmapping tools to further analyze those data to find the reason behind it.

(Please Correct Me if I’m Wrong)
But I think heatmap is not a closing case tools, it didn’t really validate our assumption before, it just creates further and more detailed assumption about the theories we first had from Google Analytics right? Therefore we need more tools like survey to make samples and verify our assumption i guess?

Can you share with me the process cycle of this whole “UX Testing” on your work? And what is the tools you always use for this maybe?

Yes you are correct about heat mapping tools, they don’t give you definitive answers, but they do paint a more detailed picture. Sometimes it’s enough. For example, let’s say we have a long form with a submit button that isn’t enabled until the entire form is validated correctly, a heatmap will show what fields customers are tripping up on. You can take this back to the team and say, “These fields are not clear, and we need a better way of validating forms.” Heatmaps can show things like rage clicks too, which can give you an indication of what the user is feeling.

But they are no silver bullet. Last week I was showing my team users were lost on the student console of an Edtech platform. The counter argument was that I didn’t know what was happening in class at the time, and they may have not been focusing.

The only way for me to solidly prove that there are usability problems is to go into a classroom and observe how it is being used. There is no substitute for qualitative usability testing. Unfortunately you will find many BAs and PMs who are against it because of cost and time constraints. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the help Tim!
Best regards

Hi,
I am also a UI UX designer and good going with my project, I think you should learn new updates in the same