Is it to late to start a career in UX?

I’m a 47 year old Marketing communications Manager who was previously a Senior Graphic Designer, and has realized I took a wrong turn in my career and I’m looking to “get back” to the design space, but not as a graphic designer but to evolve into a UX designer. So my question is… is it too late for me to make the transition into UX design?

1 Like

Absolutely not! I’ve known people in their 50’s and 60’s who have made similar transitions.

1 Like

Such a relief to hear Doug. Thanks. I’m looking into some of the bootcamps discussed in this forum to get my portfolio built up. Would I have to start as a Jr. UX Designer or based on my previous experience could I jump into UX Designer / Senior UX Designer?

Best,
Aaron

1 Like

You probably wouldn’t have to start at a Junior level (though you might, depending on the company.) Senior roles are probably out, but again - that depends on the company.

Certainly not too late - I’m 54 and still going strong! If you’ve got communication and graphic design experience, I’d leverage this as much as possible to start with. These skills are very much in demand in the UX space. You could start by marketing yourself primarily as a content and UI designer, then add other UX capabilities into the mix as you get more confident in them. If you can find a Senior role that incorporates your previous experience, there’s no reason why you couldn’t jump straight in.

1 Like

This is welcomed news Michael. Thank you for responding to my inquiry. It gives me confidence knowing my background could be leveraged as an asset as I look to take the next step.

1 Like

It is not late. I guess

1 Like

It is never too late, my friend. Welcome aboard!

1 Like

I appreciate the encouragement satriohutomo.

1 Like

I share the same sentiments as everyone else. Life is short…do what you want!