iPhone X - Is the new Apple device increasing the digital divide?

hey there,

did u watch the Apple event last night (here in CH)?
I’m quite excited by the design of the new iPhone, the X model.
I was also thinking about the impact of the new features (Eg the facial ID) on the customer lives.
What are your thoughts about it?

I tried to summarise my points here:

product

2 Likes

I’m personally not a huge fan of facial recognition - where is this stored? is this the only way to unlock the phone? what’s to stop someone stealing the phone and taking a photo (or create a 3D picture of the owner) of the owner to access the contents of the phone?

I know this sounds skeptical but I dislike intrusive design like this or fingerprint access. Also how much more does the phone need to do - it’s a phone I barely use the majority of my apps. Are we reaching the limit of technology in a phone and is Apple scrambling to think of things to develop beyond aesthetics?

2 Likes

Cool Doodle :+1:

The iPhone X does have a beautiful screen ( maybe the best display at the moment) and a well designed exterior.

Facial recognition has been there with Android but can be fooled by a photograph. Hopefully FaceID performs more securely. However since the phone would be frequently scanning for a face, the effect on the battery may not be too good.

Even though face unlock has worked well for me, I have opted out since it is an extra interaction than the fingerprint which is my primary method of unlock (on Android). This brings me to a significant experience issue on the iPhone X which is the decision to opt out of the TouchID. This is extremely surprising considering the fact that there would be so many customers who are used to using TouchID to unlock their phone and also as an inapp confirmation. FaceID would not be as smooth as TouchID and would introduce additional interactions which makes leaving TouchID out a questionable decision.

I believe that this is a topic for many makers, not only Apple.
I was thinking that devices like the iPhone X are defining dedicated use cases.
As you pointed out, is quite clear that we don’t use the full capacity of our devices (like we don’t use the full capacity of our brains and our bodies) and this will not stop makers from adding new features to their products.
What, I believe, is the most important topic is related to the basic features you need from that device. And I am thinking to all the range of people not only the ones that are familiar with a touch interface, double taps and shortcuts.

as @nalindeabrew pointed out, the new unlock system is disruptive compared to the TouchID. My gut says that the FaceID requires a higher learning curve in terms of gestures.
I am, also, very curious to see the limitations of such system. With the TouchID we were blocked when our hands get wet or when we were wearing gloves and I can’t imagine how we will unlock the iPhone X during a running session wearing a hoody, or while we are skiing.

Nope.
You can (and should) still have a pin. Even now – if you are found unconscious someone could use your fingerprint to unlock your phone.

The keynote demonstrated that a photo or 3D pic won’t work. The person needs to be actively focused and moving.

This is interesting to me. I use mine more and more and hardly ever as a phone. The technology is important to me as my Macbook.

I’m pretty damn excited about iPhone X but I’ve heard that because of the aspect ratio when you turn it into landscape mode it adds bars to the edge of the screen which feels like a bit of a pisstake.

interesting, can you share some edge use-cases from your personal user experience?

Bookmarking to come back to you. I’m travelling for the next 10 days for work.

1 Like

I’m not a design expert, but I work with people who are. Some of them have written about the iPhone X, including this article by our CXO: https://willowtreeapps.com/ideas/designing-for-a-notched-world :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m quite excited about the new iPhone X, new challenges ahead. My thinking is focused around the bottom navigation and functionalities, I wonder how they would work with the home indicator… gestures, taps etc.
Also… if you watch video on full screen how does it work with that ‘bitten’ top part of the screen? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like