Internal navigation within the app - how necessary is it?

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the “internal navigation” within the desktop app I’m currently designing. By internal navigation I mean, I’m gonna use extremely simple terms now, the back arrow, and forward arrow which are incorporated into the design. How helpful/necessary it is, if it’s necessary at all?

I did a hallway testing and 2 out of 3 interviewees said they’re lacking these arrows, that navigation is not very intuitive.

I haven’t thought of that, to be honest. There’s browser’s navigation (also, back and forward arrows), there are breadcrumbs within the app, there are buttons that directly take you to the place you want to be in.

Therefore… Do you have any experiences withi this kind of navigation? Are there any surveys? Or, what search query should I use when looking for this topic?

Thank you in advance,
Magda

1 Like

hi @mag_sobieszuk
a screenshot of a view/page will help a lot to understand how the navigation works at the moment.

Just a comment about breadcrumbs and buttons, the BC is designed for tracking of the user journey and the buttons are a widget designed to allow users to perform actions.

If I well understood your question, you’re looking for a pattern to apply to a kind of “step by step” navigation.
Again an example will help a lot :slight_smile:

4 Likes