Information that will change our lives. ;)

Welcome @michael1 – Chameleon looks awesome!

1 Like

:joy: Thanks Hawk. I actually just posted a long question in the course thread. I’m shopping for an online mentored program so I can build some portfolio projects.

1 Like

Hi Hawk,

Thanks for the welcome message, I’m from the UK in a quiet little town about 50 miles from London.

I’ve been a designer for about 13 years, last 7, 8 years more focused on digital design.

Although I have probably designed over 100 websites in my career, I’m only recently starting to dig deeper into the UX site of websites. Its fascinating and so much to learn.

I really want to change my career and pursue an opportunity in London, but my portfolio hasnt got me anywhere. The criticism has been it only shows the end result and none of the thinking. I’m finding it a challenge as there are so many different ways to present the thinking!

For me the most rewarding part of UX, is the engagement that can be delivered/determined by how we approach a design/product. I enjoy creating Persona’s and stepping into the audiences shoes, its a great insight.

Dogs all the way! but cats are also pretty cool!

Where are you based? and is this community mixed from the world? Be great to meet some new UXer’s and share knowledge.

I’d love to meet with people local to me for meetups eventually.

Thanks
Fred

Hey Fred, great to hear from you.
Hearing you on the portfolio dilemma. There are some inspirational portfolio examples in this topic.

Re meetups, jump into this topic. I’m happy to tweet something out to our wider audience if that’s helpful.

I’m in beautiful NZ – the rest of the UXMastery team are in Australia. And yes, this community is very much from all over the world.

Thanks Hawk, really appreciate that. I’ll have a look and get inspired.

I’d love to go to Newzealand, beautiful place of the world.

I’ll be looking for meet ups in August so that would be great.

All the best and have a nice week.
Ben

1 Like

Fred / Ben…
I have a few different nicknames:)

Thought that might be the case. :wink: If you want to change your username you can do that here.

Where in the world are you?
In an undisclosed, top-secret base of operations. Contact me directly to arrange a meeting place. I’ll be wearing the hat and fake moustache.

What stage of your career are you at?
Entry level. Working as a team-of-one currently.

What are you current challenges?
Managers don’t support me talking to users to conduct user research or usability testing.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
Design!!! Wireframing, sketching, and prototyping.

Cats or dogs?
Both. One day I’d like to adopt a Golden Retriever or Huskie perhaps. There are so many dog breeds to research and analyse what’s best for you.

Question I made up: What’s your favourite tree?
I’m so glad you asked! My favourite tree is the sequiadendron giganteum; also known as the Giant Sequoia. If you haven’t seen one in Sequoia National Park, your life is not yet complete.

Hi UX Community :slight_smile:

I live in Paris, France

I was digital account manager, now I’m UX designer, I found finally “my love job” and currently I am working for a provider of mobile, fixed, tv, internet services.

My current challenges is to convince people that UX it’s a necessary to do the best interfaces :slight_smile:
I want to acquire more experience and practices. I thirst for UX knowledge. There is always something to learn, and it’s very exciting.

I’m passionate about human behavior and making interfaces simple and useful for users

kitty :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Could I recommend “The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide” by Leah Buley? I won it as part of the Gold Member’s monthly prize payouts, and am finding it extremely well-written and relevant to UXer’s working solo. It’s written from a point of view that fits users early in their UX career to boot.

EDIT @HAWK, you should know I’m already putting my prize to good use :slight_smile:

@baldinep, welcome to the community! I hear Paris is beautiful this time of year (as it is pretty much every time of year).

Have you spent much time studying human-computer interaction? Some people with deep-rooted love for studying human behavior find the psychology behind how we interact with computers to be one of the most fascinating fields to dive into. It also helps you make a great UX professional :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that’s a tough one. Any thoughts on how to combat it?

I like this question! Mine is the pohutukawa tree (the NZ xmas tree).

I have this book and have started reading it.

1 Like

Live in Brighton in the UK, working in London.

Been in design and tech for 20 years (feels weird just writing that) I’m a senior UXer (as in career not age!!)

What are your current challenges?
Just took a new post in a new industry sector, so learning the business, nomenclature, acronyms and abbreviations, business model and processes etc. etc. So I can start doing the UX work with increased insight. Though my initial project will be journey mapping so - deep dive through the business model should sort a lot of that out :slight_smile:

The users. Testing. Observing and refining for increased intuition simplicity and interaction paradigms that work effortlessly and with little to no cognitive load. The creativity of design and design solutions, interactive design and motion.

I love the “a ha” moments, observing the users sigh of relief when completing goal oriented tasks without negative emotion and anxiety.

Just building software that enhances and supports business processes and activities and users love to use.

**Cats or dogs?++
Dogs. I’m allergic to cats :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi everyone :wink:

Where in the world are you? I’m in Paris, France. As many french people I don’t speak english very well :smiley:
What stage of your career are you at? I started in UX design 5 years ago after beeing visual designer for 14 years.
What are you current challenges? My current challenge is how to apply UX with big data.
What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? I like cognitive psychology, neurosciences and human factors in my UX missions. I also like HCI approach.
Cats or dogs? Dogs of course !

2 Likes

@thonet_ingrid @ashley Great to hear from you both. Welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Edinburgh, Scotland (and Gdynia, Poland)

2. I am a UX-wannabe, although I have already had ocassion to work on some prototyping, research, and testing. I am currently self-studying, and working on some ideas to present in my portfolio.

3. My challanges is to organize myself to the poing where I feel I am most productive. Also. finisihing some courses by the end of the year, and making a portfolio with at least 5 projects in it.

4. I am mostly interested in UI and usability. The visual part is also very important for me.

5. Cats. For life.

2 Likes

YUS!

1 Like

Hello there. I am happy to have found this excellent UX resource. To answer your questions …

In the middle of the USA.

I’m at the “no longer encumbered by the chains of student debt and self-doubt” phase of my career. Finally, I am free to do what I love and confident in what I have to offer.

What are you current challenges?
My current challenges are overcoming the feeling of smarminess inherent in “networking” and selling oneself and finding people and places that will value my experience, my client focus, and my eye for simplicity in design.

I am incredibly passionate about the field of UX and excited to discover that all the skills I’ve acquired over the years, that used to seem random, now have a home.

Cats or dogs?
Kittens and puppies

Love this!

Welcome @denawieland

1 Like