Information that will change our lives. ;)

Hello UX Mastery Community!

You can find me here in Chicago, IL. I am currently doing quite well in my career as a Human Reaources professional but have known for some time that HR is not my forever career. My interest in UX began as a slow burn as I took my time learning more about it over the last year and a half or so.

My pursuit of UX really began in earnest in March of this year. Since, I’ve gotten a UX friend whose really got a lot of confidence in my abilities and has been helping me with my resume & portfolio. I’ve been enjoying learning wireframing lately!

My biggest challenge at this time is my portfolio. I’m confident in the content I have, I feel there is a lot of substance there, but have concerns about how to package this in portfolio form (help appreciated)!

I’m very passionate about the research focus of UX. I’m a research junkie! I also love how practical UX design is - no “form over function” here as UX strives for balance with the user focus.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly :smile: - DOGS ALL THE WAY! I have “Frenchie Fever” as I love French Bulldogs particularly.

That’s all for now. So grateful for this community.

Best to all,
Candra

1 Like

Hi Henry! I’m from Atlanta, GA! Small world. Also, I work at Moody Global Ministries. We train students for ministry including missions - have you heard of it?

Best of luck to you in your pursuit of UX!

1 Like

Hey Candra, and welcome. :slight_smile:

[quote=“candramichelleg, post:108, topic:669”]
but have concerns about how to package this in portfolio form (help appreciated)!
[/quote] This is a super helpful article that would be worth a read.

Here are some examples of portfolios that I think do a great job of presenting information.

If you’re struggling with getting started, Michelle’s article about portfolio writer’s block is a good one.

Glad you found us. :slight_smile:

Hi Candra, and thanks

We’ll have to look it up next time we’re in town. We’re planning a vacation in the fall, if our plans come together.

All the best to you too!

**Where in the world are you?
Austin, Texas

**What stage of your career are you at?
I am a writer and editor with many years of online marketing experience. I’ve dabbled in SEO, I spent several years at an agency creating and managing PPC campaigns. Realizing that I was more interested in information design, I made a switch and began working as an editor for a large tech website here in Austin. Then I was the casualty of one of their fabled layoffs, so I made another switch and am managing expert product reviews for a very lovely web company.

**What are you current challenges?
Making the reviews ever more user friendly and instilling them with unique features that beats our competitors. Also … Figuring out if it is possible to transition into UX full time, since I’ve realized it incorporates all the stuff I’m passionate about.

**What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
I’ve long been passionate about user experience and usability, even before I knew what they were called. After I did ethnography research for a class project in college, I went to the career advisor and told him that I wanted to find a job studying how people use technology and advising how to make it better for them. He got me on to usability and suggested I take a couple courses. I did and I loved it, but when I went to look for work, there weren’t many usability testing jobs to be found, especially for someone without a full out human factors degree. I went into internet marketing because it was a hot field and I thought I could incorporate aspects of usability. I got to run the a/b testing and landing page optimization for some of our client accounts, and loved doing that. I recently trying to decide where I want to take my career. I started looking at job postings. There were many ux design positions. I had assumed these were graphic designers that just incorporated user experience principles into their design. But when I looked at the descriptions, I found all the activities I’m interested in: user research and testing, wireframing, prototyping, designing flow, thinking about the overall flow and architecture of the site. The one thing I’m unsure about is visual design. I know graphic design is not part of a pure ux role, but many of the descriptions are calling for someone with visual design skills, or a combo of ui/ux, so I want to do some training and try my hand at visual design to see if I have aptitude. If nothing else, knowing something about web design comes in handy when working on a website.

**Cats or dogs?
Both. I’ve owned both and enjoyed their distinct advantages.

3 Likes

Where in the world are you? I am a UX Designer, who lives in Ohio.

What stage of your career are you at? I am a beginner when it comes to UX. I have a varied background, including owning a business for three years that I sold. I apply what I learn from different jobs to my new one.

What are you current challenges? Keeping up with learning UX information and meeting other UX people since I am not by a big city.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? I consider myself a Multi­passionate person, I enjoy variety and performing different roles which is why I was attracted to UX. My top 5 interests are UX & design, business & innovation, and psychology. The ability to see the big picture and all the pieces needed is something I excel at. I enjoy this field.

Cats or dogs? Dogs, if I could only pick one. I am a huge fan of animals in general; I get a zoo pass every year.

2 Likes

Welcome @robin8tor and @ShannonRae – great to have you on board.

1 Like
  1. I am from SF Bay Area, California :slight_smile:
  2. I recently graduated from UC Berkeley, studying cognitive science. UX design has been an interest of mines for awhile. However, I was intimidated (still am) by the crazy talent out there. However something always draws me back to this career. I have taken some online courses on Codeacademy and took a web design class at school. I am still developing my technical skills to build my portfolio.
  3. Figuring out what type of education would be best for me to develop the skills I need as an UX designer. (designlab? general assembly? etc.)
  4. I am excited about the idea of making something that people can use!
  5. DOGSSS. They are so just friendly!
2 Likes

Welcome!

Have you considered uxtraining.com? It doesn’t get mentioned often, but we rate it highly. You can check out @AshleaMcKay’s review of it here.

2 Likes

This is something that will serve you extremely well in this field. Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

G’day from down under!

Where in the world are you?
Melbourne, Australia

What stage of your career are you at?
10+ years working in consultancies and in-house leading experience design

What are you current challenges?
Pivoting large organisations to be experience led and user-centred

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
Engaging with people (humans!) to understand their needs and solve their problems creatively

Cats or dogs?
Dogs!

2 Likes

Welcome @benrenegar – great to have someone with your experience on board. Pity about the dog thing. :wink: (It wasn’t appropriate to make an Aussie joke so I went for the next best.)

1 Like
  1. Washington, DC. Before that Hong Kong, Dubai and originally from Uzbekistan.
  2. Beginner - currently studying UX at one of the immersive courses
  3. Oh my…let me think…my biggest challenge is creating multiple iterations. Sometimes I just kinda figure it all out in my head and don’t feel like I need to sketch it over and over again but I know this is a wrong way to do it.
  4. I really enjoy ideating…thinking of ways to enhance/create a product and improving interaction experience. I also love research!
  5. Dogs!
1 Like

Wow! That’s pretty awesome.

Thanks! It seems like an exotic location, right :slight_smile:

1 Like

I reside in Denver Colorado. I work as a contract UX Design Engineer working on enterprise applications.
I’m a senior level designer, but fairly new to the UX discipline-- applying principles since 2013
Working within the typical limitations: existing legacy frameworks, time with users, typical misunderstanding of what I do.
Coming from a Visual Design perspective, I like that UX removes much of the subjectivity from the design. Having user data and working toward the function first is refreshing. Also, the problem-solving is very much different with a user-first approach-- much more collaborative and iterative.
Cats or dogs?
Dogs first, but cats have their merits. I’d never own a cat but like to watch videos of the antics and I will interact with other people’s cats if they approach me.

3 Likes

hi all
My body is in the beautiful Zurich in Switzerland and my soul is in the awesome Rome in Italy
As a designer I always worked on UX topics. I started with accessibility due to the fact that in Italy we had a strict law about such topic. When I started working for the e-commerce environment was a smoothly transition from accessibility to usability and UX in general. Nowadays I’m taking care about UX fro bank products.
I’m part of a process to help the company building up a product design process based on users and not only on features. Very challenging!
I strongly believe that a UX design based process is the only way to build a product that allow people to accomplish tasks. Is so exciting to observe how people are reacting on interfaces and product in general. I do like to define patterns according researches and data.
Cats or dogs?
I fully agree with @paddy1 dogs are people too. Mine, for instance, is a dictator…

2 Likes

Welcome @daphne_correa and @dopamino – I love to see hearing about the journey’s that people have taken to get where they are. I’m glad you’re both here.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I am extremely new to user experience (rising sophomore). I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me tips on where to start and how to grow my understanding in preparation for the UX world. I am interested in research as well as design (also very new to me).

Thank you!

1 Like

@daphne_correa I fully agree with your description :slight_smile:
I’m coming from UI world as well and for me sometimes is frustrating to face the design subjectivity for UX topics as well. My last resort is ask for a usability test to validate assumptions. It’s not simple but at least I can put some doubts on the table to undermine my stakeholders.