Information that will change our lives!

Welcome Nina. @simon_lash may have some advice around how you pitch yourself to potential employers.

Thank you Sarah, I’ve checked out @simon_lash threads and saw one that gave useful advice. Thanks again.

Apologies for the delay! I have been “up north” as we say in Ontario and I try to disconnect as best I can.

This problem you are facing is not limited to recruiters but hiring managers as well. There are threads here about “unicorns” where the lines between UI/UX/Front End are all blurred and UXers are expected to be everything all at once. Keep building your relationships with the knowledgeable recruiters.

I agree. Get out into some friendly spaces to get some in person conversations going. Check out some meetups in your area but don’t limit yourself to UX specific ones. Often initiative based communities are ripe with great contacts. Groups who focus on Civic Tech, Women in Tech, Environmental Tech or whatever initiative you have an interest in are often awesome places to network without having to explicitly “network.”

I wouldn’t consider you a junior designer by any means. I imagine that BA experience would be complimentary to UX, as you can define a problem or opportunity/requirements and then communicate a solution. Ie having big picture perspective where you can identify what a system is meant to do and then make sure its navigable to ensure adoption. Plus the ability to communicate UX considerations to stakeholders as well as skill overlap: data driven, process oriented etc.

Off the top, I would imagine this type of hybrid role lends itself to project based roles, management or Start up companies where roles are less siloed. I am going to talk to someone here with more BA knowledge who can give better insight than I can. Will report back!

Where in the world are you? Germany but I´m from Colombia.
What stage of your career are you at? I am actually a fashion designer, master degree in marketing management and interested in fashion marketing, I came to love and need UX design.
What are you current challenges? to find a job in Germany. :slight_smile:
What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? I find passionating the process of create all the interaction with the customer and build long term solutions/relationships for him/her.
Cats or dogs? Two beautiful Colombian kittens support me in my adventures♥

Cute!

Welcome. :slight_smile:

Thanks Simon! A few people in my previous job did say I would be great in a startup. I’m curious to see what your contact with the BA knowledge thinks about this hybrid role.

Where in the world are you?
I am from Punjab, India

What stage of your career are you at?
I am associate team lead in designing having 7+years of visual designing. In this period, I have worked on several designing stuffs like sketching, wire framing, prototyping, mobile and web app designing, banner designing, email template designing.

What are you current challenges?
I am solo UX designer, trying to get my feet wet in UX industry.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
The design thinking and the approach of making things that makes people life easy.

Cats or dogs?
Dogs

Ah yes, you’ll find yourself in good company. A lot of us are solo UXers.
Welcome.

I visited India (Jodphur) last year and I loved it. Beautiful.

Where in the world are you? Chicago USA
What stage of your career are you at? Senior Product Designer, Junior Visual Designer, Junior Developer
What are you current challenges? Should I focus on Craft or Empathy Ambassadorship/Management (or both?)
What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? Empathy and craft - also I have a love/hate relationship with complex systems thinking.
Cats or dogs? I choose both!! ( but and I have 2 dogs)

Interesting question. Can you elaborate on them?

In my most recent ux gig (big corporation), the core design team was grown out (doubled in size) not because of our impact on the outcome of projects (though we did usually help in material ways) but because we brought empathy to the business units we worked with. Being a teacher of collaborative teamwork / ‘design thinking’ … valuing empathy above all other skills we could bring to a project as its UX contingency… was, I am told, supposed to be our real goal in each new team / on each new project. We were almost there to spread the gospel of empathetic communication… and sometimes were not even expected to deliver a ton of actual design material or hard improvement right away.

Though parts of this were frustrating, it was usually a positive way for me to work. I found that my insights as a designer were usually better when I allowed the collaborative/creative process to truly affect/effect my course of action.

If this type of creative facilitation IS the craft, perhaps I have my answer.

When I am gameplanning a new project, however, the academic facets of formal UX practice/ the Hard Skills feel very imperative to my approach. Research, documentation, systems architecture, coding, visual design, etc… all still feel like hard skills that are improvable and valuable… Like being a lawyer is a hard skill - or being a mathematician is a hard skill.

This is probably is the issue I am struggling with. On the one hand, a skilled interdisciplinary team can use empathy and very earnest collaborative ethos to bridge academic/practical gaps. On the other, folks who hone the hard skills of Digital Interaction/Information/UX … Design…(planning for digital projects, helping with technical decisions that will effect UX, learning platforms, getting really great at research, etc…) can really make a great impact as divide-bridgers, decision-makers and (on the occasions when truly needed) one-human-bands. Finding balance seems tough sometimes.

I love how you think :slight_smile:

also I have a love/hate relationship with complex systems thinking.

That’s mainly what I obsess over. If I can get away with it, it’s all I do in a given day.

whoops – deleted my original post//

Bay Area, CA

Eager beaver, ready to pivot careers. With a background in media, I am currently developing my UX knowledge base and design skill set before jumping into a UX program.

What are your current challenges?
Not sure which bootcamp / courses I should invest my time and money in.

The user is the center!

Cats or dogs?
Cats! Though all animals are cool with me :slight_smile:

That’s mainly what I obsess over. If I can get away with it, it’s all I do in a given day.

It can take up so much time and also feel so rewarding when a good solution is found!!!

Have you seen this?

Ithaca, NY

Changing careers- worked as an Industrial Designer before anyone knew what industrial design was. Now I have a Ph.D. and specialize in social psychology (identity formation, group behavior, social cognition, culture as cognition, etc), the science of teaching and learning, and research methods. I want to get into some form of UX/design research where I can combine my design background and research skills.

What are you current challenges?
Lack of direct UX/UX research experience, and a bit of stigma attached to the academic researcher identity (e.g., academics are slow, etc).

Solving real, every-day problems. Even ‘little’ problems can have a big impact on the way a person works, learns, or connects with other people

Cats or dogs?
Alpacas.

Awesome!

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: A quick discussion about researchers