Information that will change our lives!

I love how you think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

also I have a love/hate relationship with complex systems thinking.

That’s mainly what I obsess over. If I can get away with it, it’s all I do in a given day.

2 Likes

whoops – deleted my original post//

Where in the world are you?
Bay Area, CA

What stage of your career are you at?
Eager beaver, ready to pivot careers. With a background in media, I am currently developing my UX knowledge base and design skill set before jumping into a UX program.

What are your current challenges?
Not sure which bootcamp / courses I should invest my time and money in.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
The user is the center!

Cats or dogs?
Cats! Though all animals are cool with me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s mainly what I obsess over. If I can get away with it, it’s all I do in a given day.

It can take up so much time and also feel so rewarding when a good solution is found!!!

2 Likes

Have you seen this?

Ithaca, NY

Changing careers- worked as an Industrial Designer before anyone knew what industrial design was. Now I have a Ph.D. and specialize in social psychology (identity formation, group behavior, social cognition, culture as cognition, etc), the science of teaching and learning, and research methods. I want to get into some form of UX/design research where I can combine my design background and research skills.

What are you current challenges?
Lack of direct UX/UX research experience, and a bit of stigma attached to the academic researcher identity (e.g., academics are slow, etc).

Solving real, every-day problems. Even ‘little’ problems can have a big impact on the way a person works, learns, or connects with other people

Cats or dogs?
Alpacas.

2 Likes

Awesome!

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: A quick discussion about researchers

Well this is fun! How have I not seen this post before. Here goes…

Canberra, Australia’s capital (by choice)

I have been working in UX for a little over 7 years, which is a long time as it turns out

Having a good elevator pitch for when someone asks me how to measure the ROI of user research

Anything that puts me in front of a user - interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing. I love crafting memorable and useful insights and the journey from the problem to clarity

Cats or dogs?
Most definitely cats

3 Likes

Canberra, Australia’s capital

Hey! I’m moving there in a couple months! We should get coffee sometime :smile:

Unfortunately I’m going to have to leave my cats because importing them costs a fortune I don’t have :frowning:

1 Like

@treyroady - We should try to meet before you leave.

Oh yes, that would be great! The coffee I mean not leaving the cats.

Hi, my name is Lukas, I recently finished my MA with the major in Design, and I am pleased to introduce myself.

I am located in Hannover Germany but entirely on the jump to somewhere else. Hannover is a great place to live, and I am born there. But it is (not yet) a place to be if you want to join some ambitious design teams.

I’m also in the ‘world’ of Design. As mentioned I recently graduated and joined this community to see people discuss UX. I want to discover different meanings and opinions about the whole topic.

My last positions were that I wrote my Master Thesis at Airbus in Hamburg within the field of Innovation but with (how I would call it) a Service Design topic. Now I will find a position as UX Designer preferred at a large company (e.g., Airbus.)

I want to discover the broader field of UX. I know a lot about UX design and research, Prototyping, and Visualization. Further, I’m keen to find out about UX Strategy and how it fits into my already achieved knowledge.

For me, the constant exploration of information architectures and design research methods like MVP is more than just a necessary discipline of a UX designer, and it is much more of my constant personal interest and enthusiasm for these topics that I want to shape as a UX designer.

Cats or dogs?

Do I have to decide? I like to watch them both.

1 Like

You need to talk with @amanda_stockwell ! She did a great Ask the UXperts on strategy for us a while back.

(p.s. welcome!)

1 Like

Where in the world are you? Hampshire, UK
What stage of your career are you at? UX Manager wanting to evolve to higher and broader understanding of the full integrated cycle in organisations and navigating challenges
What are you current challenges? At the moment I am in a new team that at first look are very open to integrating UX as part of the full cycle and have a good understanding of digital …
What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? User journeys, touch points and clean interactive design
Cats or dogs? Dogs…always Dogs! You can’t have cats without Dogs! Who’d chase them?

2 Likes

Other cats!

3 Likes

Where in the world are you? Norway
What stage of your career are you at? After 12 years working as graphic designer and art director, I did a career change to UX Design and I am totally hooked.
What are you current challenges? Looking for new career as UX Designer.
What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? I love the whole journey of working as UX Designer, however I enjoy most prototyping, optimising accessibility and usability by user.
Cats or dogs? Don’ t have one but I am definitely a dog person.

1 Like

Ah yes, of course! :wink:

1 Like

I'm in Orlando, FL

I like to think that I'm in the mid-phase of my career. I graduated about 9 years ago after a late 20s life change, so I'm a little old to be a 'junior designer'. I currently hold title of Art Director, however I'm a one person art department, so I wear the hat of production intern at times. I'm about to make the leap into seeking a larger studio and cannot wait for the opportunity to grow from being around other creatives. To any of you who are familiar with playing music, you realize that to become more talented you have to play regularly with talented people.

Web development UX. At least the bits of trying to make it do what I need it to. I'm currently building out a portfolio after years of little to remedial amounts of coding. I'm happy to see some changes in HTML 5 from XHTML and jQuery is much more intuitive than the days of vanilla Javascript and AS3 for sure.

What aspects of UX are passionate about?

Less is more. K.I.S.S. I'm a fan of removing things from the interface and general processes of a system to make user flow better. The less steps to get to the goal, the better. I also get really excited about meaningful animations ;) If done right, you can make the user feel like they've earned something with them.

Cats or dogs?

They both irritate the shit out of me and I honestly preferred my son's diapers and bed wetting to litter boxes or doggie poop bags. But if I had to be stuck in a house with either I guess cats? At the very least they're quiet. At some point they get old and never really do anything but sleep.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Michael, and I’m brand new to the industry. I’m very excited to get started in the career of UX/UI design, and to connect with fellow designers in the industry! Looking to be a part of something amazing, and with the help from the community, I know it will be an awesome journey.

1. I’m currently residing in New York. Looking into moving back to Florida
  2. I’m transitioning from Healthcare as a Pharmacy Technician to become a UX/UI designer
  3. Current challenges include starting a new career while providing for my family at the same time. Challenging, but not impossible. Wanting to better myself for my family. What better way to better myself than in an industry I admire!
  4. Incorporating design to help people improve their lives. Finding ways to make a website/app more user-friendly, and working alongside a team to make it all happen.
  5. Would love to have both a dog and a cat. Mainly a dog lover.
5 Likes