Information that will change our lives!

Hi all. I am new here, so, please, don’t be too hard on me. :wink: Excited to join!

Where in the world are you?
Toronto, Canada

What stage of your career are you at?
I guess better, than yesterday and hope worse, than tomorrow

What are you current challenges?
Getting a portfolio website together (UX)

What aspect/s of UX are you passionate about?
I’m excited about almost every aspect of UX design, but most of all about everything that answers the “why?” question. Like strategy, philosophy, goals and etc. I mean, no offence, mockups, you are fun, too :wink:

Cats or dogs?
cats and corgis :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fantastic to have you here!

I’m a person who asks why a lot also! I look forward to hearing more of your questions and answers.

Timisoara, Romania

I’ve been an architect for 4 years and recently managed to change my career path, landing my first job as an UX Designer at an IT company.

Finding a way to adapt the design process to each product and making sure developers understand what my job is in the company (they keep throwing UI tasks at me :joy: .

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
User testing can have such different results based on the users personalities.

Cats or dogs?
Dogs. I have 2 dogs that are almost the exact replicas of 2 stupid dogs.

2 Likes

I look forward to seeing your insights.

I share your enthusiasm for the design / behavior connection and would like to use it to solve problems for real people.

Love it. Welcome Roxana, great to hear from you.

Hello There!
Thanks for having me!

I am now in London, UK

I am Head of UX in a small agency

What are your current challenges?
I am Head of UX in a small agency :slight_smile:

I love to explore how people think, their behaviour and their whys

Cats or dogs?
Meow!

I subscribed to this community mainly to receive and give-on-request feedback.
In particular, for me, it’s about my portfolio and how I come across to HR Managers and other designers.
Please, take a look and let me know :slight_smile:
My Resume: http://www.saratraversari.it/Sara_Traversari_resume.pdf
My Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sara-traversari-0347706/
My Portfolio: www.saratraversari.it

2 Likes

Hey Sara – welcome! It’s almost COB Friday for me but if you want to post your links in the #problem-solving category I’ll jump in early next week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jordan
Entry level, still looking for a place I can apply my knowledge in, It`s a career change after four years as network engineer
change the career and Find Job in US
Interaction design, research, and strategy.
Cats or dogs?
Cats.

1 Like

Welcome! I think you’re in the right place and thank you for being another cat person!

1 Like

Wow, I think you might be our first member from Jordan. I don’t know much about your country. What’s it like?

And welcome. :slight_smile:

Hey everyone, I’m Matt! New here, here are my answers to the below. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Matt. Welcome to the mad house.

What’s the scene like in SA?

2 Likes

Thanks Hawk, UX is still a really young field over here. There are very few seasoned practitioners, but the digital market is starting to grow a good appetite for it. So I’ve started to get some graduates interested in the field and have been teaching some skillsets where I can.

I joined UX mastery because I think there is some great international knowledge to be gained here.

3 Likes

Zurich, Switzerland

Working as an ad ops, studying product design and psychology

What are your current challenges?
Getting first experiences

User research, universal design and applying psychological principles and findings to design

Cats or dogs?
CATS

3 Likes

Hi welcome to the community.

Having knowledge of psychology, is a great asset

Paddy

3 Likes

Sydney, Australia.

About 10 years in. I started out studying Computer Science and HCI, then got involved with startups and spent some time in the valley. After that, I moved to Sydney and joined Atlassian where I worked as a lead designer for 4 years on JIRA, the growth team, and their cloud platform. I left Atlassian in 2016 to start my own startup Dovetail which is a new product for organizing and analyzing user feedback & research.

Transitioning from designer to founder / CEO. Traditionally I’ve always enjoyed taking on a wide range of skills, but not being an expert in any one. At Dovetail I’m looking after design, research, marketing, finance, legal, along with a fair amount of coding. A lot of these things are completely new to me, and often there are times where I’d love to delegate something to someone with much more expertise than me.

I’ve always enjoyed the day-to-day diversity of product design. It never really felt like I was doing the same thing each day. Some days I would be ‘in the zone’ creating icons or writing a blog post, other days running user testing sessions or workshops, speaking at conferences, or visiting customers on a contextual inquiry. No two days were the same. I also enjoy the challenge of intersecting design and business – lots of companies are still trying to understand the value of design. Finding tactful ways to convince business leaders that “good design is good business” is a great challenge. Don’t really have that challenge now!

Cats or dogs?

Dogs. I had a west highland white terrier called Angus growing up.

3 Likes

Hey Ben,
Good to see you here.

Ben is my next Ask the UXperts victim candidate! Announcement coming out next week.

2 Likes

Hey @benjamin - great to see you here! I’m sure I’ll have questions for you as I continue down my own path, and hope you don’t mind if I pick your brain on occasion.

@HAWK - I’ll be looking forward to that “Ask the Experts!”

3 Likes

Eagle Rock, CA (Northeast Los Angeles)

Just quit my job as a Project Manager (Jane of all Trades) at a neuroimaging research lab. I need a different change of pace and a more family friendly environment (and less of a commute). I found UX through Facebook. It can just read my psyche (scary). I’m currently reviewing boot camps to see which ones would be the best bang for my buck

Twin kindergarteners. Career changes are scary.
Where should I start?

How to make a site’s layout attractive and intuitive through empathy instead of making it super frustrating

Cats or dogs?
Dogs because they are true companions. I am not sure what a cat is thinking - that scares me

3 Likes

Our head of community, Hawk, knows all about that!

1 Like